Us Riders At Wtc Level?

dougielampshade

I have been wondering why there doesn't seem to be any US riders at WTC level. Do they compete in a different series? It seems strange that there might not be US riders of the highest standard given the opportunities and support that must be available over there. Which is the case?

The reason for my interest is that I plan to escape the land of bad food worse weather, when I make it big!

Hi Dougie,

Maybe a tad more diplomacy would assist in getting the response you are after. Best of luck in making it big in the land of undelectable sustenance and irreverent weather patterns.

Bye, PeterB.

Hey, you've got me wrong! I almost posted -"It seems strange that there might not be riders of the highest standard in a nation which excels in most sports. It appears to me that your talent is nurtured, inpired and rewarded to the highest degree, whilst in many sports our system seems to encourage mediocrity." - But I thought that was a bit harsh on us in the context of trials as this country obviously produces top riders.

So you see it was a genuine question. I didn't mean to upset anybody, and there is no need to prove anything to me with witty comments and impressive language, as far as I'm concerned we should have the inferiority complex!

I have been wondering why there doesn't seem to be any US riders at WTC level. Do they compete in a different series? It seems strange that there might not be US riders of the highest standard given the opportunities and support that must be available over there. Which is the case?

The reason for my interest is that I plan to escape the land of bad food worse weather, when I make it big!

I understood you fine Dougie....Seems to be a lot of sensitive people around....actually thats a bad choice of words. Its difficult to translate the feeling of the written word at times on forums like this. No biggie!

The US has its own Pro series with the NATC. The USA trials riders take a back seat here as far as exposure and support goes. The AMA supports MX and Road Racing pretty well but offroad racers and trials get next to nothing as far as I know. It does seem to be getting better. With Pat Smage making an impact at the World level in the youth class it should get better. Also the NATC just started a youth program and a 125 cc class. I dont know exactly how its structured but this also should help potential World riders from the US.

In the US MX is promoted pretty well. Therefore a lot of young kids see it on TV and then tell Dad that they wanna try that. I have yet to see any trials on TV. Also, the series I ride the events are as far away as 6 hours. Where I hear in places like the UK you can stand anywhere and be within a few miles of an event.

Edited by motofire

I think the US trials scene has a lot going for it Doug, it's a bit different but in some ways better than the UK.

The north east, Kentucky/Tennessee, California and north west coast seem to have the most trials activity, keep in mind each of these areas are lot bigger than the UK.

You often make a weekend of a trials event, be it a one or two day event, the camping and social side are second to none, and some of the terrain is the most spectacular anywhere in the world.

All the bikes and spares are easily available, and the event's cater for any class of rider.

Reason you don't see too many US riders in world competition, is the majority of the event's are over three thousand miles + to get too, and if you live on the west coast, make that six thou +,without a whole lot of $ or moving the few have even a greater hill to climb.

The UK has both a greater concentration of riders and events, in a small area, this allows more riders to practice and compete together on a regular basis, other than that, I don't think trials is any better there than here.

Hey, you've got me wrong! I almost posted -"It seems strange that there might not be riders of the highest standard in a nation which excels in most sports.

Lane Leavitt is there top man dougie, but they don't like to show him off too much. :rolleyes: