Some Questions On Electrics

glyph

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys (presuming we're all guys).

neonsurge... You're right, I sure have learnt a helluva, helluva lot; When I first opened the engine up, my initial reaction was "where's the cam shaft". That got me scratching my head for a few days. XD

I'm glad I did open it up though; if anything mechanical goes wrong on the bike in the future, not only will I have the confidence to correct it, but I should also now be able to locate and diagnose the problem myself.

Beta Bodger I could think of 101 reasons why you should most definitely give it a go. Especially when there are communities such as this where like-minded enthusiasts are willing to pass on some of there knowledge to us less experienced folk. I've no doubt that I'm not the only one to have made mistakes when first starting out.

bilco, I think I can live with your crap sense of humour :P:blink: No doubt I will need it in the days to come; I tried a few things today but without any joy. Unfortunately I don't know anybody else who has a trials bike, yet alone one with a compatible CDI. I've ordered a new one now anyway, so I'm off down to Betws-Y-Coed tomorrow to pick it up. Who knows, tomorrow could be the end of all my bad luck?

If you see somebody dancing down the street randomly tomorrow, it probably means I got my bike running again.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doh! Stupid bank holiday, doesn't look like I'll be collecting my CDi today then =S

Thanks Stork for sending me the manual but unfortunately it is for the 2006 model and the wiring digram doesnt seem to correspond to what I have.

Does anyone have an earlier user manual / wiring diagram they could send me please?

Edited by Glyph

Does anyone have an earlier user manual / wiring diagram they could send me please?

Just found this post. Glyph I have a few things I could send you that might be of use (Mikuni manual, and a 2000 parts diagram) but where do I send them to?

They are for a rev3 2000 model as thats what i have!

Let me know if they are of use to you.

Just had a thought any chance the moderators can do a sticky for all the essential manuals diagrams we need as Beta riders?

Edited by Beta Bodger

With an ohm meter check the coil primary resistance - between the small wires going in if you have two of them, or between the single wire and the frame of the coil if only one. You should see around 2 to 5 ohms. The secondary side should see around 5k - 20k depending with the plug cap on. These numbers arent too critical as Coils usually go open circuit so if this was the case you would read very high.

I've got 9.66 Ohms both between the Earth-in and the plug, as well as between the live-in and the plug.

Between both the earth-in and live-in there is no resistance.

Is that about right, I'm going down to the Beta garage today so I could pick up a coil then if need be?

You can also check the stator with a volt meter. The source coil should provide above 50 volts AC kicking, 90 or more running. The wiring diagram doesnt distinguish between the source, lighting and triggers though, you would have to look at the actual stator to tell.

Whilst kicking, I get 4v across the red and black wires from the stator, and an average of 8v across the red and brown.

Edited by Glyph

I've got my new CDI on but still no spark.

There is no current arriving at the coil from the CDI

Guy at the beta shop said that the loose black wire from the stator is used to earth the CDI, but I can't see how B)

Beta Bodger, I did pm you with my email address, but on the off-chance anybody could me a 2000 wiring diagram sooner, my email address (am I going to regret this?) is glytch_nct@hotmail.com

Thanks guys

Edited by Glyph

B)

So did you try it glyph.

lol, how can I if I dont know how to? It seems to me though that this wire can only be for the cut out switch although I could be wrong?

When I kick the engine over, the fan turns (with the thermostat bridged), and i also have current going to the CDI so the stator seems to be fine.

However, I still had no current arriving at the coil.

So just on the off chance, I tried my old CDI, and voila current, but still no spark.

Tried a different spark plug, no luck, so this would lead me to believe that the coil is knackered, as is the new CDI?

Thanks to those who have sent me the manuals, but they are all for the 2006 model, the wiring is different =(

Edited by Glyph

I've got 9.66 Ohms both between the Earth-in and the plug, as well as between the live-in and the plug.

Between both the earth-in and live-in there is no resistance.

Is that about right, I'm going down to the Beta garage today so I could pick up a coil then if need be?

(This forum reply stuff is weird! - cant get it to quote...)

The secondary seems too low - could be shorted. Correct me if Im wrong here - yoiu measured between the earth and the plug cap? If so, that is correct and the reading is too low. Its most likely what is wrong, CDI's are pretty good for the most part and coils do fail.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork

Edited by Slapshot 3
Put the quote in a box as you wanted, PM'd instructions