Rev3 Back Brake

kambium

Hi guys, I'm still quite new to this trialing and find that I am forever missing the back brake pedal

Is there a replacement for the lever that is longer that the standard one. So I will be able to brake without going over the handlebars !!(Can only use the front one) Lol.

p.s. Am i the only one who has this problem?

Cheers

You'll get used to where it is soon enough the more you ride, you can adjust it higher or lower if it makes things easier. Try riding with the arch of your foot on the pegs , the brake is easier to get to from there, expect your riding with the top part of your foot on the pegs so you have to move to get to the brake.

Hi guys, I'm still quite new to this trialing and find that I am forever missing the back brake pedal

Is there a replacement for the lever that is longer that the standard one. So I will be able to brake without going over the handlebars !!(Can only use the front one) Lol.

p.s. Am i the only one who has this problem?

Cheers

What year is your bike? if its an older one try getting the longer one fitted to rev3's 2006 (i think) onwards.

I changed mine and it helped lots!

Yes Addict your right I do ride with the ball of my foot on the peg so I have to move to touch the brake. I was hoping to get a larger lever so it is easier to hit. I don't fancy changing my riding style so may have to bodge something up. Got a couple of ideas. Now where is my hammer?

Cheers for your replys guys

Ian

There are times you need or feel more comfortable to ride on the ball of your foot but most of the time you need the arch on the peg. The back brake can be squeezed instantly from there and you should just need to bend your foot to use the brake,most situations you wont have time to move your foot to a different position to hit the brake, it will be too late to do so. Try practicing both techniques before you get into a bad habbit, it took me ages to get rid of keeping my finger covering the front brake and I still have to tell myself not to do it on most sections. Using the front brake to much where the back would be best unsettles the front end causing the forks to dive and unloading the rear end.

I used to ride with two fingers using the clutch. I rode like this for around 10 years until I realised that an extra figer pulling on the bars helped my trick riding and overall control. However due to never using a one finger clutch technique it took me a few months to adjust. The main problem was getting the single finger strong enough to operate the clutch. I often ended up with finger muscle cramp half way through a section and had to go back to two fingers lol.

However after a year of one finger madeness I cant physically ride using two fingers as I cant control the bike as well. I feel that my riding has also improved.

So If I were you I would have a go at improving your rear brake technique etc.

Cheers

Tony

Ps I have just read this mesaage and it does sound a little wierd/dodgy in places lol.

+1 for The Addict on this one. :P

Your left foot should be on the balls of your feet, all the time and the brake foot should move about a bit. being in the balls of your feet gives you a bit more flexibility in how the bike can move about under you and also helps when you need a little bit of lift for a hop or jump or whatever. Instead of needing your knees to do ALL the work you have your ankles to help as well. Consider the natural jumping motion of a person... No one jumps off their heels!.

Have a chat to one of the top level riders and ask to see their boots. You will see that the left is worn towards the front, where the right will have a more spread wear region, due to the shifting of the foot in order to reach the brakes as required.

Consider the design of trials boots... Lot more flexible to allow this ankle flex for control and hops, also there is no heel stop. The lack of the heel stop avoids the practice of putting the heel hard against the peg, because this is the wrong place for it! Also I question your motives for not wanting to change, all forms of motorcycling will benefit from having the front section of your foot on the pegs since this is where your pressure and balance sense comes from.

Anyway, Welcome to Trials! May it bring you as much joy as it has bought us here at TC, :blink:

Cheers,

Chris.

I had the same problem. I simply adjusted the brake pedal so that its a little bit lower than it used to. I had some very interesting moments when my foot touched the pedal in situations where it shouldnt have. Also the pedal can bend when it touches rocks etc. and can also touch chains when bent. When you lower the pedal, it will not touch the chains either.

However, when you are a beginner, many things feel uncomfortable and you would love to modify these to suite your better. But, as I and many of us have experienced this, after months of practising, most of the things start to make sense and you learn right position of the right foot and more relaxed riding position in general. As someone already mentioned, its very important that you can strain from the pegs and therefore, standing with your heel isnt the right technique.

Just keep riding... future will bring you excellent moments with the most versatile and fun sports there is!

Edited by TrialBat