Oil Change Time

malibudon

It's time for me to change the oil in my 4RT for the first time (okay, it's overdue).

I was hoping to be able to get to the oil filter without removing the skid plate (gee, I expect so much), but that appears to be impossible.

The last time I pulled a skid plate off a trials bike was on my Aprilia TXR312M. Getting it back on was a mission so close to impossible that I had to call in Tom Cruise. He brought lots of vice grips and various other tools. I got it back on, but it was not a pleasure.

So, if I pull the skid plate on my '07 4RT, how easy will it be to reinstall?

Edited by MalibuDon

The standard skid plate is quite thin and easily bent, the more out of shape it is the more difficult to refit.

I find they go back on without too much trouble if their in good shape

Fit the front bolts first just loosely and offer the rear up to the frame, watch out for the engine rubber supports moving about, then fit rear bolts.

One badly out of shape skid plate we had we loosely fitted the front bolts then put a car trolley jack under the skid plate and took the weight of the bike on that then fitted rear bolts.

Be careful not to OVERTIGHTEN engine casing bolts when refitting the engine casing, use torque settings supplied in the manual, i've heard of a couple cracking when overtightened.

You can actually take the casing off without removing the sump plate. I seen the sandifords boys doing it at the ssdt.

Remove front and rear bolts on the left hand side and slacken the bolts on the right a few threads. Then use a screwdrivers to lever the sump plate down from the crankcase and hey presto - you can pull off your cover! Its best doing this when the bike is lying flat on the ground on its right hand side! Just another option, i've battle with ratchet straps in the past but find using the mitani 6mm plate and this method its a doddle!! :unsure:

Thanks everyone. :icon_salut:

I've got to say that I'm disappointed that Honda allowed a routine maintenance procedure to be so unnecessarily difficult. Obviously, they should have given the oil filter its own cover, like on the other four-stroke dirt bikes I own. I can change the filter in less than a minute on those, which no removal of the skid plate or swingarm or front inner tube required. :rolleyes:

Its not that bad Don.

For me the worst job was the second filter change. The first filter change i reused the original gasket. However every second filter change i replace the gasket. Removing the original gasket from the casing is a pain its very well stuck down. I always replace the o rings at every oil filter change and now i smear grease on both faces of the gasket when fitting a new one and have had no problems.

For a difficult and fiddly job you should try refitting a 2002 Gas Gas Pro air filter housing, especially in cold weather, that'll make you love removing and refitting your skid plate.

Before i receive any grief i'm not knocking Gas Gas in any way and i specifically referred to 2002 as i am reliably informed the later model air filters are much easier to refit.

Its not that bad Don.

For me the worst job was the second filter change. The first filter change i reused the original gasket. However every second filter change i replace the gasket. Removing the original gasket from the casing is a pain its very well stuck down. I always replace the o rings at every oil filter change and now i smear grease on both faces of the gasket when fitting a new one and have had no problems.

Thanks for the tip. :icon_salut:

For a difficult and fiddly job you should try refitting a 2002 Gas Gas Pro air filter housing, especially in cold weather, that'll make you love removing and refitting your skid plate.

Before i receive any grief i'm not knocking Gas Gas in any way and i specifically referred to 2002 as i am reliably informed the later model air filters are much easier to refit.

It just so happens I had a 2002 Gas Gas Pro. As bad as the air filter housing was (I don't recall ever messing with it in cold weather), that was the least of that miserable motorcycle's problems. :rolleyes:

Top Tip

If bash plate is well bent don't try to rebend unless very carefull. I tried adjusting mine and ended up with a 2 piece bash plate, snapped across the holes in the front bend -oppps.

Plate was pretty mashed anyway.

Now made 6mm thick one and also longer and much better.

The standard bash plate is a pretty miserable item & is best replaced early in the bikes life, fit a good quality one in it's place asap. You can get a bash plate back on easily if there's two of you doing it & while fitting the front bolts first is best you can do it the other way round. Biggest ball ache is getting the old gasket away from the casings, I've found using modelling knife with a #11 blade in it to be best for this job.

Edited by PERCE

Any tips for how you get the lip of the new oil filter go past that big round silver disc thingy thats situated perfectly to prevent you replacing it ???

It was a bugger on the way out but JEEZ :icon_salut:

The only way i think i can do it is to bend the lip of the filter? There just isnt enough room surely?

Jza

• 2 weeks later...

Way i do it is yes you have to remove skid plate, but try just loosening bolts first then see if you can get to the filter, if not you may then need to remove. To be honest all you have to do is put the two allen screws underneath first then sit on a bike stand and it pushes the plate nearer the holes. Still not lines up? Then push down on front end a little and it should come into line. GOOD LUCK.

The standard bash plate is a pretty miserable item & is best replaced early in the bikes life, fit a good quality one in it's place asap. You can get a bash plate back on easily if there's two of you doing it & while fitting the front bolts first is best you can do it the other way round. Biggest ball ache is getting the old gasket away from the casings, I've found using modelling knife with a #11 blade in it to be best for this job.

Are the skid plates made in china ?

another quality trials motorcycle component, still its not as though a 4rt is expensive !! :huh:

The last time I pulled a skid plate off a trials bike was on my Aprilia TXR312M. Getting it back on was a mission so close to impossible that I had to call in Tom Cruise. He brought lots of vice grips and various other tools. I got it back on, but it was not a pleasure.

So, if I pull the skid plate on my '07 4RT, how easy will it be to reinstall?

I purchase a cheap $79 (made in China) H-frame Pess from Harbor Freight years ago. The trick is to use some flat bar to protect the skid place when rebending it back to the original shape. The Montesa plate is soft but all bikes suffer this fate.

Makes life so much easier putting it back on and also keeps the rubber pad from being squished to bits and knowing your not impacting the gear case with every sump hit.