Sherco 320 4t

hop blip and a jump

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I rode one of the first Sherco 4T models at a trial once, it was awful, soooo heavy and the motor reminded me of an old Royal Enfield Bullet (Which was a fine bike in the 50's). It certainly was no fun at all and was extremely difficult to start from warm. I think the latest model would certainly be an improvement, but not tried it out. I had a go on a 2007 Scorpa 4T and the motor wasn't so bad, only rather a heavy bike. The Mont felt good, light and more responsive. Again, this was an early model which didn't have so much get up and go but things have only got better for Montesa.

Bye, PeterB.

I had a go on one a while back, quite liked it,didnt feel too heavy and alot smaller than the Mont, I didnt ride the previous model though and from what i have been told this one is well savage compared to the earlier bike and no hot/cold starting problems either

Peter B,

320 weighs 1.5 kg more than the 2T, so the 2t must be a heavy lump to you as well ???. I own both, and the 320 has heaps of power. Far more than anyone but an Expert would know what to do with, and I believe the most power of all the 4t`s. What grade do you ride ?????

Hop Blip,

Latest 320 has dual map ignition,with the flick of a switch. KeiHin flatslide and a Hot Start circuit which was the biggest problem with the early model

I have had my 3.2 4T for a couple of months now and love it! Heavy....................not likely! The lightest of all the 4T's I would be willing to bet!! Motor is the most amazing thing I have ever ridden!! Without a doubt, the most power of any of the 4T's right out of the box!! I have instantly had my confidence with riding this bike, it's grips like nothing else I have ever ridden. I ride expert class by the way!

Really well all in all! I rode extemely well considering it's been 2yrs since Ihave ridden an event in expert since I spend most of my time now as minder for my son! he had a good day riding novice in the AM against all adults and getting a good 2nd place. Fairly tough sections for him, but he was up to the challenge!

I had a great day, and honestly, the 4T suits my riding style better than any other bike I have ever had! Mega grunt and traction. Sections were good, fairly slippy in places, but way too much hopping for this old guy! I was leading the event going into the last lap, had a bad call on one section for a 5, then on the last section got a stick lodged in my front wheel on a big huge hill climb that I had been cleaning, and ended up paddling out for a 3. Loop scores reflected it too, 9-8-17. Had fun though, felt like I rode really well considering, and best part of all, think I turned a few heads riding the 4T.

I had the only cleans on a couple of the tougher sections which was a big confidence booster, most cleans, and the lowest possible loop too. Killer to get burned on the last loop, but I was there for fun, and accomplished that!

Steve

Steve, sounds like a good outing, trials is trials!

On the Sat. week before last, we did this Gate Trial thing in Ok! Total different concept, lots of fun! Unlike the typical gate trial, where one dab is a bust, you start out with 30 points, each dab is -10(3 max), and each gate cleared(of different points and difficulty) adds to your points, so it is a + and - situation. I think you even get to keep your accumulated points up to a normal fiver, which is then a bust. I had no 5's so not sure. Doing a tricky line to add points to add a 5 pointer, which just cost you a 10point dab to get to it, well you get the idea.

Everyone loved it! But the trialsmaster, who went fromsection to section for three loops as observer! Took us a long time to get round, with a lunch break after the second loop, but no time limits and no pressure made a good day of it! We plan on doing it again.

This concept was originally proposed by Tommi Ahvala, it works!

Had a quick ride on Jon Bliss' Sherco 4T earlier this year - it's a 2005 model that he has sorted the problems on himself using a different carb, sorted out the wiring mess and added a flywheel weight. This bike gives no problems starting, hot or cold and is extemely tractable, in 3rd gear it will drop to stalling speed, no clutch, just on the throttle and then take off without any fuss. I didn't get to try it on proper sections unfortunately but it felt light and agile and felt like a bike I could ride my way - without having to ride on the clutch all the time. I was quite impressed with it. Haven't tried a 2007 model but I've heard one and it was noticeably louder than the 05 bike.

Compared to the 4RT I owned until recently - I prefered the Sherco. Neither bike is heavy to me as I'm not obsessed with this weight nonsense - they're all light. The 4RT has a front weight bias though which makes it feel heavier than the Sherco in my opinion, on the Sherco it was easier to flick the front round to pivot turn off kickers. With the Sherco I could also drop to a crawl on the throttle as the tickover was normal. The tickover on the 4RT is too high for me which means clutching a lot to hold the bike back to crawl along. The 4RT also snaps the power in quicker, even with a slower map (although I daresay you could map it slower again than I had it) whereas the Sherco was softer and smoother coming off the throttle - 07 may be different. The 4RT could be a swine to find grip with in certain muddy conditions too, sometimes brilliant, sometimes I felt I was riding on a rim, not a tyre - and it was nothing to do with not riding it like you have to ride a 4 stroke either - I have my own opinions on that subject.... I always felt with the 4RT that I had to ride it quicker than I wanted, more of a point, squirt, flick, point squirt bike, particularly on rock streams whereas I felt with the Sherco I would be able ride it slower and pick my way around and over things, how I learnt to ride back in the 70s when that was the way it was....

Also had a quick go on a Scorpa 4t - one of the original 10 that was sent over here for evaluation last year. Just in a carpark but impressions much the same as the Sherco but not as much power/torque, but I don't mean by that it didn't have enough, just not as much due to it being 250 against 320. From the quick try I had it felt good but I'd need to try both it and the Sherco in sections for a more realistic opinion. Only thing I didn't like was it took an age to warm up for some reason.

Haven't tried a Beta 4T.

If I was considering one of the 4 strokes I think it would be the Sherco as I really like old fashioned torquey power and the Sherco has plenty of that and from what I've seen of them, they grip very well too.

Only way is to get to a test day and try them yourself as everyone will have differing opinions. I've tried to be as realistic as possible with mine.

I too had one of the first 4t's 2005 model. Contrary to what has been said above, I think the motor was absolutely spot on. I did however change to a Keihin which made a difference and it was certainly my favourite bike I have ever had. If it wasn't for the starting problems I would still have it. (I traded it in before the upgrade kit came out).

I don't think it felt heavy either. I am not a great rider so I tend to try and ride as smoothly as possible, and for the type of sections I was riding it was just spot on. I could ride it with no clutch and it would pick up easily and when you let rip it flew. I also dramatically improved my scoring on this bike :icon_salut:

Compare this to the 2007/8 one I rode recently for about an hour or so and it was a completely different beast. I didn't notice anything different in the geometry although the rear shock felt pretty responsive. The big change was the motor. I really didn't like it at all. Much more fiery and lumpy at slow revs with the clutch out. For someone of my limited ability, it wasn't for me and I was extremely disappointed that they messed with it so much when the motor was virtually right first time round. Maybe the top boys prefer it like that I don't know, but it wasn't for me.

IMHO :rolleyes:

Atom, interisting input on the new one! I have not seen one as yet, sure was interisted in a smoothie, we shall see!

The Beta is nice, and they are very proud of them!

It has always boggled the mind why more dont choose a nice docile 250 in most all cases, yet complain about the bigger bores having too much power!

Edited by copemech

Atom, interisting input on the new one! I have not seen one as yet, sure was interisted in a smoothie, we shall see!

The Beta is nice, and they are very proud of them!

It has always boggled the mind why more dont choose a nice docile 250 in most all cases, yet complain about the bigger bores having too much power!

Thats the thing about the 320 2005 model - it was quite docile if you rode it like that and thats why I liked it so much. Have a go on a 2007/8 4t and see what you think. You may like it!