Brakes Rubbish

gsade

Bent my rear brake pedal today (07 Rev 3 250) only slightly, but there's so little clearance that the chain was rubbing. Took it off when home & bent back, no longer rubbing but rear brakes are now sh-one-t. Don't feel spongy so dont think they need bleeding & when I push the brake pads back they clearly re-grab the discs when you pump the pedal. Any ideas folks?? - my previous bike had cable / rod brakes :o (Bultaco 325 in 1976!) so am not familiar with these "newfangled" hydraulic jobs.

Thanks

Ade

In bending the lever you may have altered the trow of the arm so that it isn't pushing the piston quite as far.

Simply try adjusting the rod so that it goes in further. Be careful not to adjust it too far so that it's permanently applying the brake.

Bent my rear brake pedal today (07 Rev 3 250) only slightly, but there's so little clearance that the chain was rubbing. Took it off when home & bent back, no longer rubbing but rear brakes are now sh-one-t. Don't feel spongy so dont think they need bleeding & when I push the brake pads back they clearly re-grab the discs when you pump the pedal. Any ideas folks?? - my previous bike had cable / rod brakes :o (Bultaco 325 in 1976!) so am not familiar with these "newfangled" hydraulic jobs.

Thanks

Ade

Ade,

Chances are you have dinged something enough that you need some repairs. Before that try the adjustment on the rod, scroll the rod out in steps and try the brakes every turn or so, you might find that does it if not there may be issues with the master cylinder....they are not that expensive from Lampkins.

If thats the case once you change it and put the system back together the best way to re bleed (after months of d!cking about and numerous phonecalls to Lampkins) is to attach the cylinder to the frame, get a long screwdriver and use it to pump the system till you get pressure in the system. Once there take the cylinder off and reconnect the rod and remount in the frame then adjust the acctuation rod until you get the feel you need in your brakes. This works believe me, good luck

Thanks Guys

Tried the rod adjustment to no avail, so may be more of a problem :D One thing I have noticed is that there's a recess in the frame for the rod to run through. The rod is nowhere near centre of this recess, in fact it's almost touching the top edge, is this position normal? Strikes me as it could be out of alignment but haven't noticed before, so don't really have a reference point.

Cheers

Ade

I don't know how much spare time you have, but it is often with the back brake in particular to just strip the whole thing back and rebuild it with new seals/pistons if it needs them, it is surprising what you might find, and to be honest takes about as long to rebuild the whole thing as it does to try and find the problem. My experiences anyway.

Bob

Take out the rear pad's and replace, the Beta can get a lip on the top edge.

Thanks Ishy, I'll give this a go as when I rode the bike last weekend the brakes weren't as bad as I previously thought. I think that having to muck about bending the pedal back made me think the brakes had deteriorated suddenly, but on reflection what had happened is what usually does, in that they'd tailed off slowly & I'd just compensated. Could be ribbed / glazed pads - first line of attack in remedial action methinks as it's easiest option, if that don't work looks like being Bob's rebuild :huh:

Ade

PS Thanks to all for advice.