Sherco 290 Gear Oil...again!

adampool

Following on from earlier queries about gear oil, a few more, simply 'cause the bike is new to me and I dont have a manual!!

I assume that there are only two plugs relevent to the gear oil, the large plug with the allen key connection on the top right of the gearbox for filling the oil, and the small plug on the bottom left for draining the oil. I saw from an earlier post that the capacity for a 250 Sherco is 450cc. My bike is the Sherco 290, so I assume we can assume the same capacity. However, is the correct practice to drain the oil completely (good plan anyway) and then fill this volume, or do you fill until the oil is just at the level of the filling hole?

Any help appreciated. Oh and does anyone have a maintenance manual they would like to share!! Electronic copy would be great!!!

Ta :o

Following on from earlier queries about gear oil, a few more, simply 'cause the bike is new to me and I dont have a manual!!

I assume that there are only two plugs relevent to the gear oil, the large plug with the allen key connection on the top right of the gearbox for filling the oil, and the small plug on the bottom left for draining the oil. I saw from an earlier post that the capacity for a 250 Sherco is 450cc. My bike is the Sherco 290, so I assume we can assume the same capacity. However, is the correct practice to drain the oil completely (good plan anyway) and then fill this volume, or do you fill until the oil is just at the level of the filling hole?

Any help appreciated. Oh and does anyone have a maintenance manual they would like to share!! Electronic copy would be great!!!

Ta :D

Just to pick the bones from your post:-

Tip the bike to the left slightly and drain out the oil till it stops dribbling.

1) Do drain from the lowest allen bolt (watch for the sealing washer) on the sprocket side of the crankcase .

2) Do add the 450cc of oil to the filler hole(large plug with an o-ring seal) on the kick start side of the crankcase.

Do not fill up to the level of that hole. That would be way too much. :D

Edited by HAM2