Bunny Hop

doogzie

Hi everyone

I just can't get the hang of this I put a log on the drive and clear my front wheel but always scrape over with the back wheel. Can anyone give me some advice on how to perfect it.

I'd love to be able to clear a good height eventually.

Thanks Doogzie

Lift the front wheel early and a bit higher than you need, compress your legs and push down on the pegs as your front wheel is approaching the log, unweight the bike by straightening your legs and jumping up slightly to lift the rear wheel. You then need to roll/tilt the bike over the log as though you were trying to get the front wheel to land first - does that make sense?

In fact, try doing it without the log to start with as you'll be able to concentrate on doing the bunny hop without having to worry about the timing to clear the log :o

Edited by Kinell

what i seem to do is ride up to the log really slowly and when you come to it compress your rear suspension and use throttle and clutch to lift the front with a little blip and the when the front log is above the log i seem to rev the bike more and dump the clutch as you do when splatting something but just dont lean back instead using the body to pull the bike up into yourself and then push it over the log, i seem to think that bunnyhopping something is easier when done slower ran than faster but thats just my personal opinion

Then when you perfect that part, you can start learning how to turn 180 deg whilst in the air. :o

Here's one of my favourite shots of Steve Saunders demonstrating a 180 flick turn... he did this time and time again and each one was inch perfect.!

BunnyHop.jpg

I agree with aficionado, getting the rear wheel 180mm off the ground is easy, 360mm very hard !!!

Doogzie, I'm in the same league as you mate but as my son keeps saying "practice, practice, practice" (Thats what I used to say to him, amazing how the tables have turned :-)

He tells me its all in the timing, I believe him. Evidently my timing is terrible but what the heck, its good fun trying ! When it comes to logs, the chainsaw wins every time ..........

:-)