Bunny Hop

doogzie

• 7 months later...

heya dougie,

see your fast becoming the next graham jarvis! You wish!

Any way, Heard rumors of the club going to close, any true?

You should bring the bike up to the estate and ill show you some proper terrain, 10,000 acres of it.

anyway all the best jamie (bighead)

I actually just started pulling this off Friday. Pretty small but I am starting to get it. I can clear a railroad tie and usually cover a few feet in the air.

I have trouble with controlling the front end in the air at slow speeds so I am doing it while rolling along in 2nd. No clutch as it is too much to think about right now. But again I am trying it and getting better. Mentally and for timing sake bunny hops feel like a good size jump without the jump. I noticed that when I would try and use a small branch to jump off I would actually come off the ground sometimes without hitting the branch.. So just like when hitting a jump you start off solid ride up the take off jump off with your legs and then get a little forward to bring the bike flat. For the hop the take off is your wheelie and the level out just takes a little more force. Downside of that analogy is I find myself stomping out the landing everytime which does nothing but punish my suspension.

Mainly using one continuous burst of power but this results in acceleration. But I figure hey I'll get the rear off the ground any way possible then start working on making it better.

I think a fun idea would be to use a small log and hit it with the front and hold power to jump off it with the rear getting as much air as possible with slow speed. Then move to a much smaller branch. Then to a piece of foam. My guess is with the foam as a guide and a mental take off you would be able to get the tire off the ground.

Anyway I am pretty new to this too so just trying to spitball ideas.

These are my feeble attempts.

Good luck.

• 9 months later...

looking at that mate i'd say your making it hard for yourself by using so little throttle, its amazing what some bikes will do with a handful of throttle. you're going so slow that by the time you've lifted the bike your not over the log and the back wheel drops before its over it. try lifting the front end higher using a bit more throttle and a quick bounce on the rear (while pulling the bars) then, when the fronts up and over the log your back wheel should be somewhere near the log, at this point push forwards on the bars and throw your weight forwards if poss. thats my 2 p's anyway.

Thanks tomtomtom Weather is finally breaking can't wait to get out and ride again. I came across this video on youtube and it is neat to watch becuase for the first one the bike is off. Hopefully I will have some better video's this summer.

Hi there,

I am a long long way off from being good enough at trials to give advice, but a small tip from me is, try using a scaffold board on it's edge. That way you can get a bit of decent height but if you don't clear it the board falls over. The only pest is i keep having to reset the board ;) but once you've sussed it you can add pieces of wood to add extra height. ;)

Steve