So What Makes A Good Minder ?

subira

After a wander around Hook Woods on Sunday and watching the top lads demonstrate how it should be done.

You watch them ride and see them do the impossible without a safety net, I noticed that the minders have totally different styles and no doubt abilities. So what does make a good minder?

Is it:

a) technical knowledge; guide and advise the rider and get him exactly where he needs to be etc etc.

:wacko: inspiration; maybe technical knowledge isn't so important, but lifting the pilot to greater things.

c) safe pair of hands; allowing said rider to attempt the impossible and know that he's not going to clatter down in a heap.

d) Dad; nuff said

e) Been there, seen that, got the t-shirt; some one who can advise from a postion of authority having been at the top

f) mechanic; just good with the spanners.

g) all of the above :D

h) none of the above :D

I'm on the page the these lads need inspiration. Mr. Galway gets my vote for the sheer passion that he shows in getting the Mighty Atom through a section.

What's your view?

I thought of Mr. G as I was reading the list of possible attributes, I'm not sure if Ronald fits any/all of them but he certainly inspires confidence in Browny before he makes a move. It's as though he knows exactly where to be and how to do it but hearing it from his minder makes him actually do it...

He's very entertaining and I would hate to see him whispering into some helmet (:D) microphone

Mr Gallway is indeed one of the best. He is one of the ones that make his rider better. James Lampkin was brilliant. Martin is the standard by which all minders will be measured. But my vote goes to Didac Cercos ( Bou's minder). I feel he is one of the unheralded reasons for Bou's success this year.

Edited by for artie

Mr Gallway is indeed one of the best. He is one of the ones that make his rider better. James Lampkin was brilliant. Martin is the standard by which all minders will be measured. But my vote goes to Didac Cercos ( Bou's minder). I feel he is one of the unheralded reasons for Bou's success this year.

Senor Cercos has a very different style to Shaun though, and has several others to do the things shaun has to undertake during an event tyres and drinks being just two.

One size doesn't fit all and to find a minder which suits is very difficult.

I sincerely believe that locally Jack Lee would not have been singled out as a good minder even a year ago but without doubt has been an essential prt of Dabils continued improvement this year and the two seem good mates and more suited than perhaps Shaun would be. Michael is a quiet and determined character suited to shaun's more "outgoing" personality so thats probably why they are such a good partnership.

The youngsters coming through are mostly supported/minded by there dads and family members but a good minder with a bit of experience can do wonders.

I think having a full time minder can be more important than a more experienced part time one.

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic, Dabster I watched Jack Lee with some interest at the world round and I think he is doing well. Forming a good personal relationship is vital if the partnership is to work.

I think as its jack's twenty first, he won't mind me saying a few thought he may not be that good when it was first announced.

How wrong they were, he has done a terrific job this year and the set up at TRW has allowed him to take on a role very similar to all the other top lads minders, in so much as he simply catches and is in the section lining up and advising. I think in the wtc he doesn't actually have any responsibility for mechanical issues.

In my opinion he fits perfectly into this role, but almost more importantly he is with James for training and practice pretty much 24/7 (I think). This is why Alexz has gone down the trw route i belive, as no one can turn up and ride anymore its the number of hours on the bike imbetween that improves a rider.

One thing I noticed last year was the top man practiced hardest and longest.