How Do You Keep Your Sherco Winter Proof?

beta bodger

After tricky times with the Beta Ive migrated to a Sherco!

I have recently moved to a Sherco and kept the Rev3 as a second bike which I will probably pass on to a mate of mine.

Well the move to the Sherco has been dramatic!

The bike is so different! I have bought a 06 Cabestany replica which needs a few things sorting before I take it out.

First port of call is to make the bike winter proof as the airbox/carb and air filter was covered in muck! (not a good sign)

So I am off to buy a new filter and refit but can't see how I can stop all the muck coming in from the back wheel.

I have had a look on the sherco site and it basically recommends fixing up the gap between the rear mudgauard and airbox with gaffer tape.

Although temporarily effective ist a bit of a bodge!

To make things worse the plastic flap part of the rear mudguard has snapped off! :huh:

Im thinking that I should get a YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE mud guard to protect engine and a front mudflap.

I have done the mesh mod on the holes in the mudguard but feel dubious about modding the filter itself.

How else can I protect the airfilter from muck getting in?

Draft excluder???

Forgot to say does anyone use a rear shock mudguard as it seems quite vunerable? How have you attached it?

Edited by Beta Bodger

Hi there.

Best thing to use to protect it from the rear wheel side is use 1.5mm rubber gasket material cut to shape and glued to the airbox, pretty similar to what the gasgas use. I cut mine so that it over lapped onto the exhaust to protect the joint between the exhaust and airbox, also made it long enough to hang just below the swingarm top edge to protect the rear shocker.

The breakage of the crap catcher on the rear mud guard is a commonn problem, again easily fixed with a small amount of rubber glued to the underside of the mud guard, cut and shaped to overlap the piece glued onto the airbox.

You wouldn't believe the amount of crap it stops getting to the air box and shocker area.

Hope this helps.

Hi there.

Best thing to use to protect it from the rear wheel side is use 1.5mm rubber gasket material cut to shape and glued to the airbox, pretty similar to what the gasgas use. I cut mine so that it over lapped onto the exhaust to protect the joint between the exhaust and airbox, also made it long enough to hang just below the swingarm top edge to protect the rear shocker.

The breakage of the crap catcher on the rear mud guard is a commonn problem, again easily fixed with a small amount of rubber glued to the underside of the mud guard, cut and shaped to overlap the piece glued onto the airbox.

You wouldn't believe the amount of crap it stops getting to the air box and shocker area.

Hope this helps.

Got any piccies?

Hope this helps.

This sounds like the best mod I have heard so far to be honest. I too would love some pictures of this mod if you have some.

A picture is a thousand words in this case!

Big Thanks

Sorry guys.

At work offshore just now, won't be home until the 2nd of October can you wait and I'll post piccies then? If not pull up a picture of a gasgas rear end and then pretty much just copy that except widen it to cover across the exhaust / airbox joint and lengthen to overlap the top of the swingarm.

Cheers.

I use silicone bath sealant to run around the airbox / mudguard joint and across to the exhaust. It's easy enough to apply at the end of fettling after a trial and not much faff to remove after you've washed the bike from the next trial.

I would send a photo but my bike is in storage pending a house move next weekend.

Hi,

I have been using 'silage tape' [a very wide roll of sticky plastic] to seal the gap between the mudgaurd and the top of the airbox, and that has worked a treat although it needs to be replaced after every wash off, no big deal to do again though.

This afternoon I have tried slitting a piece of rubber fuel pipe and running that along this edge to see if this will make a more permanent seal, time'll tell though.

I would be interested to know what glue you all use to stick the rubber to the mudguard please?

Thanks

I am going to use a heated glue gun and hope for the best.

Hey you never know it might still be on the bike when I come home from a trial :(

I hope it works for you, I just know that I can not find a glue to do that sort of job very well, plastic can be a bugger to glue to.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

For a muddy event, the best thing is still duck tape! Make a "flap"of it at the rear mudguard junction, tape alng the side of the airbox to mudguard, close off holes on top above air intake, and the holes in the skidplate to keep them from packing up! On the '06-07. close off the area below the rad as well! Your bike will love you, takes two minutes~! :(