06 Fork Seals

bob

Hiya,

I know that suspension is a topic often talked about, but I just can't find a straight answer to the problems I'm having.

The forks on my 06 are leaking on both sides, I understand that the fork seals were replaced relatively recently, but I think that the coating on the stanchions may need redoing, not sure it it matters too much to be honest, it isn't scored, just wearing.

But, anyway, could anybody give me a brief guide to stripping completely the forks and rebuilding them, how much work is it, will I be able to do it with basic tools?

No need for too much detail, I expect that when it comes to it common sense will apply itself, but I am a little unsure of where to start. I am considering sending them off to be done properly.

Thanks,

Bob

Hiya,

I know that suspension is a topic often talked about, but I just can't find a straight answer to the problems I'm having.

The forks on my 06 are leaking on both sides, I understand that the fork seals were replaced relatively recently, but I think that the coating on the stanchions may need redoing, not sure it it matters too much to be honest, it isn't scored, just wearing.

But, anyway, could anybody give me a brief guide to stripping completely the forks and rebuilding them, how much work is it, will I be able to do it with basic tools?

No need for too much detail, I expect that when it comes to it common sense will apply itself, but I am a little unsure of where to start. I am considering sending them off to be done properly.

Thanks,

Bob

Have a look on ryp sherco site im sure there is file on there you can download showing you how to strip + rebuild paoili forks!

Before having them replaced do the following.

Remove forks from bike

Remove dust seals by working a screwdriver between seal and lower fork gently all around.

Hold fork upside down and using feeler gauge or "seal mate" slide between seal and slider.Work right around fork leg at an angle as if trying to remove any debris.You should get mucky oil dribbling down. Do it gently so you don't damage the seal.

Pump and wipe the forks repeatedly and see if leakeage stops

In my experience this works 9 times out of 10 with fork problems.

Wear on the coating should not cause leakage.

Seals are pretty easy to do but not too expensive at dealers if all else fails

Good Luck