Walwin Bikes Where Are They

walwinbike

Are you talking about the bikes built for trials and grass track by the Winwood brothers?

I remember two being ridden in the 1970 SSDT by Ross and his brother. I think I have a good photo of the Bantam engined bike (Top half) somewhere. It was taken on the Weigh In Sunday at the SSDT at Gorgie cattle Market.

I think I saw one recently in T&MX or YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE.

Big John

Are you talking about the bikes built for trials and grass track by the Winwood brothers?

I remember two being ridden in the 1970 SSDT by Ross and his brother. I think I have a good photo of the Bantam engined bike (Top half) somewhere. It was taken on the Weigh In Sunday at the SSDT at Gorgie cattle Market.

I think I saw one recently in T&MX or YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE.

Big John

Hi Guys,

For your quest to find some of the Walwin trials bike's that were built you probably live in the right place, as Ross Winwood used to run a post office/ store just a few miles from Stratford. I can not remember the Village's name off hand but ia'm sure one of the Stratford club lad's will know.(Scorpa 3) perhaps.

I do know where a imaculate example with a Bsa C15 engine lives in a village not far from me. and is owned by the son of a very good friend of mine, who helped to teach me how to ride a trials bike many moons a go, Ted Freeman. the sons name is Edd.

I have seen this bike at Alan Wright's offroad show at Malvern a couple of times. there also was the bantam engined model with dural plate frame as mentioned by the other Guys , there this year ,and I seem to remember another C15 engined one as well,

PS There is a picture of Edd riding his C15 engined Walwin on page 76 of Offroad Review number 43, May 1997.

Good luck with your search, and keep us posted.

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott

• 1 month later...

Hi, I would like to know the whereabouts of Walwin motorcycles. There should be about 10 or 15 out there somewhere.

They were built between 1958 to 1972.

Did they all feature alloy frames or were there any more conventional ones built. Also, were they all trials bikes?

Hi, I would like to know the whereabouts of Walwin motorcycles. There should be about 10 or 15 out there somewhere.

They were built between 1958 to 1972.

Did they all feature alloy frames or were there any more conventional ones built. Also, were they all trials bikes?

Hi Guys.

Hi "Rock"

No the Winwood boys, also built some tubular framed bikes, one lives just up the road from me. they also built some grasstrack bikes as well that were very sort after, these to were fitted with C15 engines.

Regards Charlie.

I had a BSA engined "special" in the early 90's and the guy I bought it off said it was a Walwin. It had a more conventional nickel plated duplex frame (with o.i.f), G reg I think. I rode it in the specials class of the old British bike series for a couple of years before selling it to my mate (he still has it). I could never decide if it was a Walwin frame or not, Keith Quinn reckoned it wasn't, I'll have to try and get the frame number again.

• 2 months later...