Rear Shock Rebound

toothandnail

I have a 04 TXT 280 ,the rebound on the rear is to slow, is there an adjustment for rebound? I have the compression set fairly stiff to keep from bottoming , does this also affect rebound? I really think I need a stiffer spring,I'm about 205# with all my gear on, and any landing from 2'+ I bottom pretty hard,also it will bottom (rub airbox)if I sit on the fender when riding down the road. Any suggestions?

Yes stiffer spring is in-order or a new shock. I weight 220lbs. and I have had to put a stiffer spring on all my GasGas bikes. Tighten the spring up real tight and see what happens, can you move your airbox or take it off just to check it. You can get a stiffer spring pretty cheap.

start off with the spring change and then adjust the suspension

i believe there is an adjustment on the top of the shock

Gas Gas has changed shocks a couple of times over the last couple of years so i am not sure on the 04 but if you find it turn it all the way in and count how many turns it takes then back it out the the original setting then turn it half a turn in either direction and jump of that 2' rock then do it again and again until you see a change for the better

rule of thumb is the bike should sag about 2 inches when you stand on the pegs

have someone measure from fender to top of tire

also when you push down where the tank meets the air box the front and rear suspension should move down so that the bike stays fairly level

so you may need to adjust the front forks as well maybe start with an oil change in the front most people run about 7weight

in addition to the suspension bend your legs when jumping off things and absorb some of that impact, and many times you can land on the front tire and drag the front brake to soak up more impact

Thanks , I've looked, my shock only has the compression screw on the bottom,I've adjusted the spring almost as tight as it will go ,which has helped alot, thats why I'm leaning toward a stiffer spring. The front seems pretty good, I've put 10wt. in the left side ,haven't done anything to right yet. I'm thinking of shimming the front springs a little with pvc just to get a little more rebound. Right now there is no way I can hop the bike off the ground unless I grip the frame with my boots and actually pull it up with me,by jumping off the pegs, I can get about 3" :D that way

Edited by toothandnail