25 Years Gone By

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones

Hello all. With the family all grown up and independant, and a couple of spare quid in the bank, what better than to get back into motorbikes after a 25 year break? While I was mainly into motocross and road bikes, I did dabble in trials for a bit with an old Ossa. Now starting up afresh, based near Henley on Thames in South Oxon - any pointers towards local trials clubs, dealers, comps - anything please. And if I buy a Gas Gas 300 - will it kill me?

Cheers

300 GAS GAS wont kill you but will probably scare you to death, mite be better with a 250-200 if you have not rode a modern trials bike

MMM - thought so. I havn't ridden anything at all in modern trials bikes - are 2 strokes as violent as the MXrs?

no not as savage as a motox bike but still are a handfull, i would see if you can test ride as many different bikes before you buy one GasGAS bikes are good bikes but need more maintenace than other makes, beta do a very good 200cc this mite be worth a look at

Hello all. With the family all grown up and independant, and a couple of spare quid in the bank, what better than to get back into motorbikes after a 25 year break? While I was mainly into motocross and road bikes, I did dabble in trials for a bit with an old Ossa. Now starting up afresh, based near Henley on Thames in South Oxon - any pointers towards local trials clubs, dealers, comps - anything please. And if I buy a Gas Gas 300 - will it kill me?

Cheers

I would advise against buying anything bigger than a 200cc to begin with or you'll end up fighting the bike and the terrain!!

The small Betas are lovely to ride and will flatter you!

Regards

go down the 200 route, either a sherco or a beta, you wont need any more than that for at least 18 months.

And if I buy a Gas Gas 300 - will it kill me?

only if you eat it ! :(

Edited by paul w

Hi

I was in exactly the same situation as you. Went to hawkstone and tried several demo bikes ,I did the best on the last one I tried, the sherpa ,but it was the first time I had been on a trials bike for 30 years so I put this down to it being the third ride in a couple of hours.

If you havent been on a bike for some time you have no experience with which you can make a rational judgement. I couldnt really tell one from the other. | bought a new 07 beta 250 in the end which was the one I liked the look of the best ( shallow or what) but after listnening to other peoples comments as well, especially the easier maintenance.

I am very happy with the bike and whilst being very nervous of the lively response at the begining I am now getting a bit more confident on the bike and have had 6 sessions on it the fourth being my first trial, incidently I came last, though I was happy just to finish.

Go for it If you have a history witth bikes I am sure you will love it again.

Good luck.

Hi

I was in exactly the same situation as you. Went to hawkstone and tried several demo bikes ,I did the best on the last one I tried, the sherpa ,but it was the first time I had been on a trials bike for 30 years so I put this down to it being the third ride in a couple of hours.

If you havent been on a bike for some time you have no experience with which you can make a rational judgement. I couldnt really tell one from the other. | bought a new 07 beta 250 in the end which was the one I liked the look of the best ( shallow or what) but after listnening to other peoples comments as well, especially the easier maintenance.

I am very happy with the bike and whilst being very nervous of the lively response at the begining I am now getting a bit more confident on the bike and have had 6 sessions on it the fourth being my first trial, incidently I came last, though I was happy just to finish.

Go for it If you have a history witth bikes I am sure you will love it again.

Good luck.

Thanks, I can't wait to get going - I'm pretty lucky in as much as I have access to my family's farm on my back doorstep, so can get regular practice in. I've been offered a "mint" Beta 270 and a GG300, but am now waivering - I like my teeth just as they are! Having trawled the ads the 200's seem a bit rare - it's encouraging to know that the 250 hasn't bitten you too hard. Good luck

I recently bought my "first" trials after 30 yr abcence ,04 280TXT , I rode a GG 321 and GG 125 before purchase, the 125 seemed too underpowered for me, I didn't like how I had to use the clutch instead of the throttle for the slow stuff, on the other hand the 321 would just "tractor" through whatever you pointed it at. I'm well pleased with my 280, my brother just got a scorpa 250 on Sat. I haven't ridden it much yet ,but so far I like it very much as well,also like the looks .

In my opinion you can't have "too much power" if you have any sense at all.

for local clubs check out

http://www.acu.org.uk/directory/centre.aspx?id=14 (Soutehrn Centre is south of the thames) http://www.acu.org.uk/directory/centre.aspx?id=15 (South Midland Centre is north of the thames)

http://www.acu.org.uk/directory/centre.aspx?id=13 (South Eastern Centre is Surrey, etc)

http://www.southeasttrialscombine.org.uk/

Thanks, I can't wait to get going - I'm pretty lucky in as much as I have access to my family's farm on my back doorstep, so can get regular practice in. I've been offered a "mint" Beta 270 and a GG300, but am now waivering - I like my teeth just as they are! Having trawled the ads the 200's seem a bit rare - it's encouraging to know that the 250 hasn't bitten you too hard. Good luck

i woudn't advise you getting the beta 270 this will really scare you, way to powerfull for a beginner, at the most get a 250, but good luck with what ever you choose :(

IMHO anyone who is not a youth and of normal weight will be happy on any machine above 125cc, its nothing like other motorclylce sports where the jumps between 250 and 450/500cc is huge. a 300 won't tear your arms off and kill you like a good old 500cc 2T MX bike!

IMHO anyone who is not a youth and of normal weight will be happy on any machine above 125cc, its nothing like other motorclylce sports where the jumps between 250 and 450/500cc is huge. a 300 won't tear your arms off and kill you like a good old 500cc 2T MX bike!

You wouldn't say that if you'd ever seen me trying to ride my mates Raga 300! I'm not just a danger to myself, but anyone within 50yds. Pass me a slow action throttle... quick! :(

Thanks for all the tips and advice - after almost 2 whole days of phone calls and surfing the net - I've decided on a 2008 Beta 250 (Don't tell the wife!). I have to say I've been really impressed with the help that dealers have given over the phone, all usefull and all friendly.

Now for boots, helmets.....................

Thanks to all again.