Lane's Apology

bama

Malibu:

Lane thrived with the TC forum as his own platform for his opinions. Some of his opinions has some great ideas as I said before. So, can you please tell me what goal this acheived. I wish many times that he had pursued some of his good ideas rather than coax others to do so. There is no doubt that with his achievements in trials in the USA he commands some respect, as well as how well he has done with his business. But, if you look at all the other past National champs, and compare how much they have given back to the sport, in relation to how much they have given there opinon, Lane is not very high on the list.

It is true that most do not give their opinion at all, but those who do have stepped up to the plate big time. Ryan Young is foremost in my mind. I can t think of anyone who has given more back to the sport in so many ways than Ryan. Yes, he is now a business man, but, his commitment to the youth program in the US at the early stages and now, are unequalled. Lane has some good ideas but has never personally followed through on them! Sorry, but it you cant, then dont talk the talk! I defy you to prove me wrong on that one! I am sure that there are at least 5-1 people who can back me up with the fact that when Lane attacked someone and was pushed to back up his statements, he was never heard from.

It is true that the forum on the US trials is slow since Lane is not around, so what. What does that prove other than he p****d alot of people off! I don t think that really does anyone any good do you. I hope he is well, and I still hope that I get to sit down with him one day and talk about trials and how we both feel, perhaps at the Youth Nationals in 08!

Steve

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, we simply have two viewpoints that can't be reconciled.

I think opinions are great. I don't think you have to back them up. They can stand on their own...or not.

I don't think opinions have to be popular. Many great ideas aren't popular when first brought up.

I don't think you have to implement opinions given on a discussion board. You can try if you'd like. Or not. Someone else might pick up on them and do something. Or not. It doesn't really matter one way or the other.

I think Lane's perspectives are valuable to the sport (sometimes I like them, other times not, many times I don't care one way or another). You may not like his perspective, but he's sharing it (or at least he was, until he was banned). There are plenty of NATC Champions who disappear and are never heard from again. When was the last time you heard something from Marland Whaley or Fred Crossett? Look, Lane did a great job of representing trials while he was a world class competitor. He was in lots of magazines. He wrote an important book on trials technique. That's not enough for you? Oh, well.

He wrote an important book on trials technique.

If i can just pick up on an important point to me about his book if i may.

After a long period of not having the taste for ridding trial's again,i came across his book in the back of the cupboard one day,after flicking through the page's for the first time in year's the spark was once again there to dust off my old bike's and start ridding again.

What im getting at is this,just because a name like lane's does'nt seem to be doing anything for the sport in a high profile fashion it does'nt mean there not.

Infact me getting back to trial's just by looking at his book again has put abit more money into the trial's business economy.so tell me has he helped trial's in that case or not.

We all have good and bad opinion's on forum's and most of them get slaughtered for it,what's the diffrence between joe blogg's and lane making a strange comment.

what's the diffrence between joe blogg's and lane making a strange comment.

The way it is said (typed)?

4ourtea posted his criticisms of Shirty's reports and was slated for it, he posted again and tried to prove his point but I don't think he was too successful.

Lane on the other hand suggested ideas (some good, some bad) and kept coming back to argue his point again and again whilst ignoring/dismissing anyone elses opinion if it didn't fit with his. When he was asked to stop bitching and start doing, he went quiet or said that he was taking a day off and climbing a skyscraper or something ;)

I'll admit that it's a bit quieter without Lane around but that doesn't mean boring. Nothing wrong with stirring up a **** storm now and again but with Lane it was all day, every day. I think he eventually slagged somebody off for no reason and was given a few days to explain himself, apologise or get banned for his libellous comments - he went quiet...

This brings us all back to the reason why Lane was banned.

Lane made and despite numerous warnings continued to make unsubstantiated accusations about various individuals in the US trials fraternity. When challenged to back these stories and accusations up he refused to respond, even when a public time limit was put on him to respond or lose the Forum, he chose not to therefore Andy banned him and rightly so. It was fitting a few days or so after Lanes World was removed that he came back in all innocence about the situation.

We can all come on here and make crass stupid statements however if they start breaching forum rules action is taken.

Slapshot 3

Forum Moderator

On a personal note, i've got the book as well and watched Lane, primarily in the press, while I was growing up because he was one of them strange things, a Trials rider from the US competing at world level and he rode Bultacos which is maybe more relevant. When the forum fisrt appeared I thought great a former World competitor contributing here, superb; it's amazing how your opinions change of someone when you see them on this level, so's to speak.

Edited by Slapshot 3

I am not sure which has me dismayed the most: The fact that there is a tred (haha tribute) about Lane, and rather lengthy I may add. Or the fact that I am actually reading and posting in it. ;)

OK the Dude is banned, he breached forum rules therefore banned. Let him go, it is not worth worrying about. But I'll wager if he still lurks these forums and reads them that he is having a good chuckle about the fact that we all is still talking about him. ;)

I gotta say my opinion is that "high traffic does not always equal quality content".

Zippy ;)

Malibu Don, do you have kids or not. If not, it might change how you feel about saying that someone doesn't have to back up their statements just because it is written on an internet forum. If you do have kids, let me know and then maybe I can better explain my point and you may understand it.

This discussion isn't about children, as near as I can tell. We're all adults here, so how any statements relate to children seems to fall outside of the section boundaries.

However, as you've brought it up, if I had a child, and he was reading this forum, I'd explain to him that everyone is entitled to express an opinion. He can back up his opinion with action, or not. His opinions can be based on fact or fancy. But, he will be judged by his opinions and how they're presented. I'd also point out to him that the owners of a forum can ban someone for the forum for a good reason, bad reason or no reason at all.

Not about childeren, but, you brought up the point that on a forum at least, you feel anyone can say what they want without having to back it up. We are all entitled to our opinions, but, if I, you or anyone makes a personal attack on someone, they need to step up to the plate. We can have our opinion, you and I different on many things, Lane too. But I don t think it right to attack someone and then act like nothing happened. Do you. I only brought up the children point because as parents we are the best example our kids have. I would hate to think that my son thought he could say and do what he wants in life without consequences. Its obvious that some folks on here like controversy as a form of entertainment, that is their right. But no one has the right to make personal attacks on people whether it be on here or anywhere.

Running a busy Forum is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. You can never, ever please everybody. Suffice to say Lane was given his opportunity to justify his position and back up what he said with fact and he failed to do so. As a result he was banned and that position is not going to change. I am happy to expand the US section of the Forums to meet demand from the US Community following the shutdown of the Trialscomp Forums, but only if there is demand. Either way, regardless of what I do the Trials Central Forums will not include contributions from Lane Leavitt. Debate it from now till Doomsday if you want, but it ain't going to change!

Running a busy Forum is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. You can never, ever please everybody. Suffice to say Lane was given his opportunity to justify his position and back up what he said with fact and he failed to do so. As a result he was banned and that position is not going to change. I am happy to expand the US section of the Forums to meet demand from the US Community following the shutdown of the Trialscomp Forums, but only if there is demand. Either way, regardless of what I do the Trials Central Forums will not include contributions from Lane Leavitt. Debate it from now till Doomsday if you want, but it ain't going to change!

Looks like it might be time for another tea party.

Sincerely,

Little Snot

But no one has the right to make personal attacks on people whether it be on here or anywhere.

That may be true in Canada (which definitely has limits on unpopular speech), but in the United States we have a Constitution that guarantees us the freedom to make personal attacks (though it does not supply us a forum, and posters have zero rights here or on any other privately owned forum). In fact, down here, we cherish that right and we put in right up front in our Bill of Rights. ;)