Lane's Apology

bama

But no one has the right to make personal attacks on people whether it be on here or anywhere.

That may be true in Canada (which definitely has limits on unpopular speech), but in the United States we have a Constitution that guarantees us the freedom to make personal attacks (though it does not supply us a forum, and posters have zero rights here or on any other privately owned forum). In fact, down here, we cherish that right and we put in right up front in our Bill of Rights. ;)

Lane found out what happens with personal attacks !

It is obvious why the world is now seeing the USA in a different light, if this is the American way.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is obvious why the world is now seeing the USA in a different light, if this is the American way.

The American Way is to let people have their say and let the court of public opinion sort it out, rather than forbid unpopular opinions.

I like it that way and am quite proud of our system.

It's my understanding that Australians have no right to freedom of expression under the Australian Constitution. If you're comfortable with that in Australia, then I suppose we're both in the right places.

The American Way is to let people have their say and let the court of public opinion sort it out, rather than forbid unpopular opinions.

Do you ever have Islamic extremists organising meetings in public parks so that they can spout off their radical thoughts and encourage terrorism?

It's my understanding that Australians have no right to freedom of expression under the Australian Constitution. If you're comfortable with that in Australia, then I suppose we're both in the right places.

We had the APEC meeting held here in Australia earlier this month Don. To protect your president for a four day visit was the official line given for our Government to spend over 300 million dollars in security measures. As well, they closed down the entire inner city centre of the largest capital city in Australia, to prevent the world from seeing the freedom we should enjoy to protest, so yes, maybe you are right on that point. Like America we thought we had freedoms you enjoy, but they are slowly being eroded by the propagation of fear and the ongoing charade of peace keeping as the reason for these unpopular measures by OUR leaders.

Do you ever have Islamic extremists organising meetings in public parks so that they can spout off their radical thoughts and encourage terrorism?

Do I personally? Not that I've seen, but I'm usually out riding rather than hanging around public parks.

However, I absolutely do want them out in the open where we can see them and know who they are. Would you prefer they meet and recruit in secret? ;)

As American Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis said: "Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman." ;)

No, we have too many rednecks that would like to meet them!

Do you?

Nope, we don't have any rednecks ;)

However, I absolutely do want them out in the open where we can see them and know who they are. Would you prefer they meet and recruit in secret? ;)

As American Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis said: "Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman." ;)

Public (monitored) meetings are better than secret ones I suppose but the point I was trying to make was 'free speech' can have it's limitations and can easily cross over into libellous comments...

MalibuDon Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

QUOTE(Steve Fracy @ Oct 27 2007, 03:47 PM)

But no one has the right to make personal attacks on people whether it be on here or anywhere.

That may be true in Canada (which definitely has limits on unpopular speech), but in the United States we have a Constitution that guarantees us the freedom to make personal attacks (though it does not supply us a forum, and posters have zero rights here or on any other privately owned forum). In fact, down here, we cherish that right and we put in right up front in our Bill of Rights.

Agreed that we have freedom of speech, but if we do not have to back up our "unpopular" ideas with facts, then explain to me why there are so many court cases that involve "so and so said this about me in the press" and the "so and so" guy has no proof of their accusations and ends up paying money to the "me" person.

I like having freedom of speech, I like their being different viewpoints, no body says we have to agree. But I also believe that if you say something it is your responsibility to have the balls to back it up!!! If you truly believe it than be able to back it up and have just cause or facts to support it.

One more thing that I just thought of: Lane is such a powerful being that just the mention of his name has produced a political and idealogical discussion of great magnitude. He should be so proud. (read: without even posting Lane is able to rile up alot of people)

Edited by ZIPPY

Agreed that we have freedom of speech, but if we do not have to back up our "unpopular" ideas with facts, then explain to me why there are so many court cases that involve "so and so said this about me in the press" and the "so and so" guy has no proof of their accusations and ends up paying money to the "me" person.

I like having freedom of speech, I like their being different viewpoints, no body says we have to agree. But I also believe that if you say something it is your responsibility to have the balls to back it up!!! If you truly believe it than be able to back it up and have just cause or facts to support it.

One more thing that I just thought of: Lane is such a powerful being that just the mention of his name has produced a political and idealogical discussion of great magnitude. He should be so proud. (read: without even posting Lane is able to rile up alot of people)

Zippy, in America we very rarely have the sort of cases in the courts you're referencing. Libel and slander are extremely difficult to prove in the United States, and almost always involve knowingly and falsely accusing someone of an illegal act. As far as I know, Lane never accused anyone of breaking any laws.

It's great that you believe people should have to back up what they say. Others do not agree...and that's part of our freedom.

Lane has controversial opinions and isn't afraid to present them. That riles some people up. ;)

Not as much as me banning him riles you up ;)

Hate to burst your bubble, but it doesn't even increase my blood pressure a single mark.

I've been on the Internet since Mosaic days and on BBS before that. I've seen this sort of forum management countless times. Still, the issue of banning people due to unpopular opinions is one worthy of occasional discussion, especially for people new to the subject.

Not as much as me banning him riles you up ;)

Hate to burst your bubble, but it doesn't even increase my blood pressure a single mark.

Don, By the ten or so posts you have made on this single thread, you could have fooled me. Just typing that much could raise your BP a single mark. ;)

Seriously, I hope Lane, family and property are ok. Isn't he in the S.Calf. inferno area? Wish him the best.