Fitness

Right then,

I have come to realise that for me to enjoy and make a reasonable assault on the SSDT next year I need to be super fit, so has anyone got any tips/ training programs to help???

I know the best thing to do is go out on the bike as often as pos but I have no practice area :D but I do ride every weekend and go to the gym about 4 times a week.

I would be interested what kind of training program the world class boys have, any clues????

Ride your bike more, everything else helps but it's no substitute

Think thats where the ploblem lies me old mate, I get plenty of free time to ride my bike but nowhere to do it... I am just trying to give myself the best chance and as I cant ride anywhere the gym is the only option it seems

Think thats where the ploblem lies me old mate, I get plenty of free time to ride my bike but nowhere to do it... I am just trying to give myself the best chance and as I cant ride anywhere the gym is the only option it seems

How far are you fom hawks nest and burrycliffe?

How far are you fom hawks nest and burrycliffe?

Hawks nest 73 miles

dont know where burycliffe is, cant find it on google or ordinence survey

You can do some practice in your garage

how good is your balance ?

you can try putting the bike in gear then putting the front wheel up against a wall (about 3 foot from the ground) then see if you can balance the bike , with the back brake on you should be able able to hop the front wheel on the flat, and balancing the bike on the flat is also good.

okay you will not learn throttle control but your using all the right muscles and improving your balance so its better than nothing.

I'm assuming you have a garage or garden ?

Burycliffe is near Elton in Derbyshire, about 6 miles west of Matlock. Closer to you than Hawks Nest, but not that close.

How about Metheringham Quarry ? 10 miles south east of Lincoln. Or Bracken Rocks near Matlock Bath.

Thought Metheringham quarry was out of bounds for practice these days??

when is bracken rocks open???? how much does it cost???

billycraig...could you be more specific on your trials training? What kind of reps and sets do you do?

My typical gym sesh goes like this:

3min walk (warm up)

15min speed interval run

10min revolving staircase

15min wave machine (push from side to side)

2 sets 15 reps

lat pull down

cable cross over

tricep rope (arms at 90 degrees then pull down)

bicep curl

precher curl (machine)

30 sit and reach sit ups

15 press ups

Is this any good???? it was the program the gym instructor gave me but i dont think she had any clue what trials was!!!!

Edited by thespikeyone

WOW :D

do the people in my gym have any idea what they are doing??? she said the reps/sets were better for LME

I must add that I am in the armed forces and have to complete a twice yearly fitness test which features the knee twisting ankle killing multi stage fitness test (bleeptest), sit ups and press ups hence the running etc

dont suppose you could post a kind of generic training program fo trials???? reps and excercises???? which order???? I know it is supposed to be specific to each person but a rough guide would be ace ..... you sound as if you really know your stuff

Edited by thespikeyone

Billy, what's your input on the concept 2 rower without going into lots of latin/physiotherapy gobble de gook? Always found it a good all over warm-up device or at a more intense rate a good way of spending 30 mins when I used to use it for moto-x conditioning. I am aware that free weights are the way to go for concentrating on specific areas.

Stretches (tight/short)

Thorcic mobilization

Pec minor/Subscapularis

Upper traps/Sub Occipitals

Anterior and Posterior Scalenes

Levator Scapula

Mid Back/Upper abs

Strenocliedomastiod (SCM)

Long weak would need training.

Thoracic extensors

Long cervical extensors

Deep cervical flexors

Rhomboids

Mid/Low Traps

Posterior deltiods

Hyoids

External rotators

So i'd say warm up, do the stretches and then perform 1-2 sets of Front squat, Seated cable pull (swiss ball), Prone cobra, Wall lean, Deep cervical work using a BP cuff or biofeedback device.

Lower body in trials riders could go two ways so i'm not gonna say anything really as the potential impact on your SI joint and L5 S1 discs isn't good should you do the wrong things. Their seems to be plenty of people on here with blown discs that will testify to that. Every week at trials i see people who are on the verge of blowing a disc/

How much of the trials population have you met Billy? :D I reckon I must be in the bottom 5% of the population because even though I can see you seem to know your stuff, I haven't got a clue what you're talking about most of the time. Is there a babelfish equivalent to convert your technobabble in to plain english :P

Cut me some slack and try to give me some simpler talk from time to time :D

I did however suggest the "Deep cervical work using a BP cuff or biofeedback device" to my good wife, she informed me that my "Lower body could go two ways" so I left it at that.

Sorry Billy,just re-read my post and thought I better just mention I wasn't having a pop, the bit about how many trials riders you met was retorical. I know you rode the Scott, you don't get there without a bit of history :D I think you took it the right way anyway but wanted to clarify.

The only truth in the humour was that I AM interested in what you're saying, but I have to admit it's a long hard google slog to work out what it means :P

From breakages, I know most of the bones, and I know a few of the popular muscles. Other than that I'm an ignoramus (which is probably in your leg somewhere) :D

We can't expect you to write everything out twice for those that know what you mean and those like me, just thought I'd mention it though. I know sometimes I'm talking geek speak to people and suddenly realise that the eyes are looking through me and the head's nodding, but the brain has already set off home :D