Balance Question ?

Hi all,

This will probably sound like a silly question , but im fairly new to moto trials , so here goes........................

I live in a fairly congested (neighbors) residential area and to start the bike up after work to practice is proving not a real good idea ( probably fairly so)

so my question is is it a good idea to practice balancing the bike without it going as ive heard balance is better achieved with the use of clutch /throttle coordination ??

or should i wait until i can get the bike out and actually start it to practice ,

and by the way its great to find a forum where i can ask silly questions re trials riding , Thanks :D

It certainly won't do you any harm to stand on the bike and practice balance with the engine dead. Balance does play a major factor in trials so anything you can do to improve yours will ultimately help your riding. Perhaps you could consider a Cycle Trials Bike for practice.

I rode Trials for about 10 years when hopping and even reversing was allowed feet up, my balance was very good and was tested on a night out with work mates. There was a surf board on hydraulics, nobody could stand on it for more than a few seconds. To my supprise I found it really easy and could stand up indefinately. The operator asked if I surfed as he had never had anyone do it so well so quickly!!

I would say go for it. That is how I learned to hop the front and back as well i.e. engine dead. Start by getting your balance, then when you can do that start working the suspension front and then at the back. Once you have practised loads you should be able to hop around in a circle and forwards, backwards etc. I know these aren't exactly the current rules but it's fun to try and will impress you mates! And it keeps you fit and gets strength into your arms and legs that only can be done by being on the bike.

Set your self targets for how long you can balanace there, get into a position and lift a leg to the side or try and take a hand off the bars. There is loads you can do and all of it will help you with feeling familiar on the bike.

With the engine stopped is a perfect way of learning balance, when you do get to a trial the clutch and power make it a little easyer so your even better.

Like what has already been said try bouncing the front/rear wheel around then whole bike, then you can start pulling the wheel so high you can plant it on walls.

If you want to be really clever and really have perfect balance then pump the tyres up hard, if you learn this you will be able to balance anywhere when flat!

We had a competition at school once where i took my bike in and all you had to do was balance for the longest!

We pumped the tyres up hard and there were other trials riders in my school who thought it would be easy!

The longest we had all night was about 3mins...

G14

here goes for my first post lol

what i did to start was put the front wheel near a wall, then you can use the wall to lean the wheel on, move the bike further away from the wall the better you get, eventually you wont need any help.

another tip is to chalk a line on the floor and practicing hoping your front and back wheels seperatly from one side to the other, then bunny hoping the full bike in the same way.

as said above, if you can do it with the engine off, its much easier when the engine is running

• 2 months later...

Personally I think any time spent on the bike is worth it. As a kid I was always instructed to balance on the bike at least 5 minutes before starting it

for a warm up and then again 5 minutes after the practice session. I think the bike running gives one the option to cheat by releasing the clutch

when balance is lost. Like posted earlier hard tires and no engine should only benifit your training.