Forks And Head Stock!

trialskid

hi all , i have a 2002 2.9 Sherco and was wondering if changing the fork oil would make a big difference? At the moment i can only describe them as soft when you push down onto them, more so than a newer bike would be, is this a normal characteristic for the year of bike or can this be improved upon. Also when the bike is on a stand the steering seems to be a lot more slack than my 06 beta, the movement from left to right seems to have no resistance at all and I was thinking that something could has worn inside. all comments would be appreciated. Cheers trialskid.

. Also when the bike is on a stand the steering seems to be a lot more slack than my 06 beta, the movement from left to right seems to have no resistance at all and I was thinking that something could has worn inside. all comments would be appreciated. Cheers trialskid.

have you checked that the head stock bearings are ok.... mite need to tighten the top nut a little to take up any slack in the bearings also make sure there is some good quality grease in there as well

When was the last time any of this maintenance was done? Fork oil changes are often overlooked and can/will make a huge difference. not totally sure on the oil weight you should be using (probably 5) but if the springs are a bit worn or if you prefer a slightly stiffer fork try a 7.5 or even 10? trial and error I guess!

As for the bearings could well be worth having a good look to check for any obvious wear, if all is OK you will certainly loose nothing by putting it all back together packed with a decent waterproof grease.

As you inspect, clean and lube any of the headstock bearings, you should take them to a slight preload on the quartered nut, ck for smoothness of operation and slight resistance, then place the top clamp, set forks then secure the top nut!

A bit of preload on tapered bearings is the key! If your bearings of races are knackered, toss them! ;)