Rubbish Front Brake

tombo46

Ive had a rubbish front brake for a long long time now and its finally got to the point where im fed up with it. Ive replaced the pads twice, cleaned the disc with brake cleaner, replaced the fluid and bled the brakes twice and its still rubbish.

there is plenty of pressure on the lever, just as much as anyone else riding a beta so i cant understand where the problem is. could it be something wrong with the disc?

I have to slide the master cylinder right down to the bend in the bars just so I have enough leverage to lock the front wheel (with some effort).

anyone got any idea's on what I could do?

All the best

Tom

First I surgest not using brake cleaner this does leave a surface film , quickest way is to ride the bike around applying the brake untill hot then quickly quench the brake disc with cold water.

First I surgest not using brake cleaner this does leave a surface film , quickest way is to ride the bike around applying the brake untill hot then quickly quench the brake disc with cold water.

Really, does that work?

Having changed all of the things that you mention, it could be the brake line failing.

If the integrity of the pipe has gone, then the pressure will be being wasted expanding the pipe and not being applied to the piston.

Having changed all of the things that you mention, it could be the brake line failing.

If the integrity of the pipe has gone, then the pressure will be being wasted expanding the pipe and not being applied to the piston.

nope, that just makes it spongy, will still develope the same final pressure.

Now, if you have a piece of lining of the hose causing a restriction, can stop the flow.

but I'd focus on cleaning pistons pads and disc.

kcj

Could also be the master cylinder piston seals?

Checklist;

Replace- seals (master and slave), brake hose, brake fluid, pads.

Thoroughly bleed system until 100% sure there's no air.

Clean disc with solvent cleaner then hot soapy water, dry with best guest towel.

Brakes should now be tickety boo ?

No ??

Buy a Gasser :)

GJ ;)

cheers everyone, ive heated the disc up and poured cold water on them before and it does give me a better brake but still nowhere near where it should be. the brake pads are new so now problems there.

Ive cleaned and greased the pistons in the caliper too and are all free moving, i pumped them all the way out and pushed them back in again and they all seem 100%

How do I replace the seals in the master cylinder? havnt got a clue hehe.

Thanks again.

Tom

If you remove the brake lever and take off the rubber boot you will

see a circlip remove this and the piston draw's out ,there will be some

resistance so use some long nose pliers to get a good grip on it.

Once removed replace the seal and re assemble in reverse order

job done !