Villiers Ignitions

daved444

Having today missed the Classic Experts trial due to a failed electronic ignition (the 2nd one from Simon Bateman that has broken down) I now need to find a good replacement that performs and is reliable.

Can anyone give advise on which way to go please?????

Thanks

Hi Dave,

My "Nametab" system has been giving a bit of trouble too of late and having asked all and sundry the best way to go I am still no wiser! However, I have had a long chat with the chaps at "Norton Villiers" in Manchester and they have developed a system especially for trials.. Have a look at this link....

http://www.nortonvilliers.com/villiers_spares.htm

Thanks for the link - I have spoken to Clive at Norton Villiers a few times but I haven't heard too much from anyone using one (except Clive of course)

I could do with anyone's thoughts on PVL in a Villiers engine or how the Rex Caunt system stands up perhaps??

Thanks for the link - I have spoken to Clive at Norton Villiers a few times but I haven't heard too much from anyone using one (except Clive of course)

I could do with anyone's thoughts on PVL in a Villiers engine or how the Rex Caunt system stands up perhaps??

Cant comment about the RexCaunt system but i have had a PVL fitted for nearly a year now. No problems whatsoever. Even carried on working when i got a case full of water. My fault that one didnt seal the ignition case properly.

So i'm happy enough with my PVL and wouldnt fit anything else. Saying that i have fitted an extra weight ring. The std Villiers part that fits straight on. You just have to re drill one hole as the holes on the PVL flywheel are all equispaced and the std Villiers weight ring has one hole which is not equispaced.

Other than that i would recommend it without hesitation.

Usual problem with Villiers stuff though supply. Can take a while to actually get one.

Good luck ;)

Dave,

My brother has a motoplat ignition fitted which touch wood has never let him down. He has a brass ring shrunk onto it for added weight.

I will need to sort something out for my greeves so will do the same or try a PVL system. Have looked at the Rex Gaunt website before and he is not the cheapest!!

Got my PVL B40 ignition off Alan Whitton and never had a problem. Who does them for Villiers ??

Steve.

Dave,

My brother has a motoplat ignition fitted which touch wood has never let him down. He has a brass ring shrunk onto it for added weight.

I will need to sort something out for my greeves so will do the same or try a PVL system. Have looked at the Rex Gaunt website before and he is not the cheapest!!

Got my PVL B40 ignition off Alan Whitton and never had a problem. Who does them for Villiers ??

Steve.

Have you tried Alan Whitton ????? ;)

Motoplat does work well but if i remember the crank taper is different or you have to make uo an adaptor ? Dont quote me on that but i think it is so.

Thanks guys - I have spoken to Alan and the ignition is available but it requires a new flywheel to be made and some machining - I think he has been waiting for a while to get things going on the flywheel front.

I think I might go with the Rex Caunt one for now, as for cost I am not too concerned (when you enter a trial for 18 quid then travel 90 mins to the trial and dont get out of the carpark at the start of the trial) then the price of an ignition system to sort out reliability is a small price to pay!

OTF - did Alan supply your PVL?

Thanks guys - I have spoken to Alan and the ignition is available but it requires a new flywheel to be made and some machining - I think he has been waiting for a while to get things going on the flywheel front.

I think I might go with the Rex Caunt one for now, as for cost I am not too concerned (when you enter a trial for 18 quid then travel 90 mins to the trial and dont get out of the carpark at the start of the trial) then the price of an ignition system to sort out reliability is a small price to pay!

OTF - did Alan supply your PVL?

Alan supplies most of the PVL parts to many people. He supplied the PVL to Villiers services who in turn supplied the complete setup including flywheel to me.

Alan has helped by machining the brass flywheel and broaching the center boss for a better fit on my crank.

It's the flywheels that are the problem at the moment brass being very expensive and there is a lot of wastage when machining from a blank.

Good luck with whatever system you decide to go with.

OTF: I guess the ignition I have in my 197 James is the one from Simon. It came to an abrupt stop up in the moors (where nobody wants to break down, near where you where observing) past Scottish Pre-65, after crossing a river.

It is funny to see what happens now with that ignition, as the bike starts and runs perfectly when cold, but when the bike starts warming up, the ignition timing changes. The warmer, the later the ignition works, untill it is impossible for the engine to keep running. As you know I am now waiting for Alan

OTF: I guess the ignition I have in my 197 James is the one from Simon. It came to an abrupt stop up in the moors (where nobody wants to break down, near where you where observing) past Scottish Pre-65, after crossing a river.

It is funny to see what happens now with that ignition, as the bike starts and runs perfectly when cold, but when the bike starts warming up, the ignition timing changes. The warmer, the later the ignition works, untill it is impossible for the engine to keep running. As you know I am now waiting for Alan

Hola Javier, ?como estas?

That James is in stunning condition, looks like a Suzuki RL250 tank. Well done.

Just out of interest, I have fitted a total loss ignition system to my B40 using a re-chargable gel cell battery that easily lasts a full day trial. This method utilises the original points for timing, and drives the spark through a Lucas (Prince of Darkness) HT coil. I have removed the alternator. You would be able to adapt such a system to the Villiers quite easily. Let me know if you need more info.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Peter: The bike is quite good, but the engine is just a 197 cc. so no much power. As you can see it is all original, frame, hubs, yokes, forks. We have buil it an aluminium air filter and plastic mudguards out of Bultaco mudguards in the rear and modern bike in the front (GasGas), and a Bultaco 340 side stand. NJB shocks painted as the frame. The tank is a Beamish. The engine is completely rebuilt with some little improvements inside.

Unfortunately the ignition is the big headache. Talking with Mick Andrews in Cabrianes past October he confirmed the ignitions of this bikes can give big problems, but is looks Alan Whitton has the solution. Now cross fingers and wait for Alan

I also used total loss system on my Norman and ran okay. Original contacts but external condensor with a 6volt Bosch coil and a Honda 50 battery between the yolks attatched behind a hindged numberplate , that was 5.5 ah and now I use Maplins rechargeable Ni-Cad. No switch , just pull off spade connector , less to breakdown. pixie

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Im sorry to hear that people are experiencing problems with my Nametab Ignitions. We have examined daves ignition that failed and cant really find any definite cause for the failure.There are over200 of these out there and only about 4 have come back with any problems, mostly just broken wires.I try and modify or improve any problems that arise but I can only do this if you let me know!

The ignitions do have a built in retard which tends to richen up the engine at higher revs but this can be compensated by a slightly smaller main jet.

Regards Simon Bateman

Thanks for the response Simon.

As you have stated, there is no obvious reason why they have broken down which is all the more concerning as they work fine one minute then fail for no apparent reason so it provides an element of uncertainty and reliability was the reason for the electronic ignition in the first place.

The replacement has worked fine during the last 3 trials since you supplied the replacement and I know that Alan Nicklin has been running his without trouble for a number of years so I may have been unlucky - time will tell