Sherco Brake Squeal

uberfraznb

The front brake on my 07 is stock and it squeals so loud I need to wear ear plugs to ride! So far I have tried draging the brake until hot and then quenching it with water (per Ryan Young's suggestion), and sanding down the pads. Nothing has helped at all! Anyone have any suggestions???

The front brake on my 07 is stock and it squeals so loud I need to wear ear plugs to ride! So far I have tried draging the brake until hot and then quenching it with water (per Ryan Young's suggestion), and sanding down the pads. Nothing has helped at all! Anyone have any suggestions???
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY BACK BRAKE TURNED OUT, IT WAS LEAKING FLUID, REPLACED SEALS, CLEANED DISC WITH BRAKE CLEANER AND FITTED A SET OF D.P. PADS. WORKS BRILLIANT NOW - NO SQUEALING. GOOD LUCK.

Not to confuse a "squeal" with a "moan" as if they were wet with something, typically a goog "squeal' means they are working well! I have come to like that sound! ;)

This isn't the "good the brakes are working squeal", this is the "obnoxious, make your ears bleed squeal" every time you touch the lever. It is so annoying. I checked the caliper and there is no fluid leaking out onto the rotor. I think I will try different pads next.

• 2 weeks later...
I put some CRC Copper Paste on the backside of the brakepads and most of the squealing is gone. Simple as that!

Didn't have any copper paste, but I did find some CRC brake grease. Tried that the back of the pads, but to no avail. I have Jitsie pads ordered. Will try that next.

Didn't have any copper paste, but I did find some CRC brake grease. Tried that the back of the pads, but to no avail. I have Jitsie pads ordered. Will try that next.

I had the EXACT same thing on my scorpa. it started after i fitted a new brake pipe and some fluid leaked onto the pads. i tried everything (even baking them) but had to replace the pads in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

I dont think that changing the brake disc will affect the brake squeal as the noise comes from the pads "squealing" againts the piston in the caliper.

Ive got no more ideas that havent already been mentioned. My next step would be to take a really big hammer to it but that wont necessarilly help it will just make you feel better.

Well, had our first event for the year, and the brake squeal is still there. I am thinking of fitting a different disc next. Possibly one that is not a "wave" rotor. Anyone know if the older rotors will fit an 07?

look very closely at the alignment of your caliper too your disc. I bet one is not straight too the other.

Insure your disc floats. (read as Wiggles if you don't understand what I mean by floats)

Carefull apply brake anti squeal (yes, there is such a thing, it is not a muffler wrench) which will be available at any high quality auto parts store (or some low quality places as well) to the pads where they contact the pucks. NOT grease, it may be also called disc brake quiet.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLM...isc+Brake+Quiet

I like the heavier bodied stuff as shown, not the thinner spray on stuff.

I have not tried the stuff you spray on the discs I tend to believe it would be temporary at best, and as old school as I am, I try very hard not to get ANYTHING on my discs.

Good luck.

look very closely at the alignment of your caliper too your disc. I bet one is not straight too the other.

Insure your disc floats. (read as Wiggles if you don't understand what I mean by floats)

Carefull apply brake anti squeal (yes, there is such a thing, it is not a muffler wrench) which will be available at any high quality auto parts store (or some low quality places as well) to the pads where they contact the pucks. NOT grease, it may be also called disc brake quiet.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLM...isc+Brake+Quiet

I like the heavier bodied stuff as shown, not the thinner spray on stuff.

I have not tried the stuff you spray on the discs I tend to believe it would be temporary at best, and as old school as I am, I try very hard not to get ANYTHING on my discs.

Good luck.

Alan's idea usually will fix the squeal and the "brake quiet" stuff usually looks like hi-temp Silicone in a tube. It effectively bonds the pads to the brake pucks and dampens the vibration. The "squeal" is the high-frequency vibration of the pads on the disc and it tends to drive me nuts also (which is usually a very short trip)....

Some brake pads use an "isolater", composed of a hi-temp woven fabric and stainless steel pad backing, but this is rare in Trials brakes. Often, cutting a thin "X" on the pad with a hacksaw will help channel grit from the center outwards without diminishing the braking performance and prevent squeal. Sometimes it depends on the pad composition (and the disc alloy), if it is organic or something like sintered copper, but the only non-squeal pads I've found were the Kevlar composite ones and I even managed to get a set of those to squeal one time...

Jon

Hi,

The best solution is a GasGas disk (rotor). The squeal dissapears and brake gets stronger. You can choose between fixed (GG '06) or floating (GG '07 ->) disks. Sherco use floating disks, but both types are useable.

Lots of spanish riders have changed, look an example here

The Sherco'09 batch would probably wear new disks.

Cheers, JM.