Sherco Winterproofing

johnkennedy

I am sure I seen a topic like this before but after an hour of search I gave in

I was out yesterday on my 2007 sherco and the tick over was going very strange, as usual turns out to be water in the carb.

After taking the mudgard off for the frist time (its new)I was shocked at the design of the air box, there is no way the water could avoid going into the sponge, it was crazy :( . after removing the sponge to my horror the was a massive puddle of water in the box. (It wasnt sunk or anything just water from the moors/burns). I thought the taping of the two holes on the side was supposed to stop that.

so is there any way around the problem?

and is it a good idea to drill a small hole in the air box for water to escape the box?

cheers john :wall:

Doubt it was just that. Did you previously hose it off?

Really it sounds as though you may have TWO problems. As it takes water INSIDE the bowl to cause a floaty idle!

Pull the carby too and clean it ALL! Ck fuel tank for water! That means drain it while on the reserve position , into a clear bolttle. Water settles to bottom!

There are other things, but get the bike cleaned up first! :(

done all that, must have been the hoseing down.ill take more care in future

You are best off to pull the mudguard, remove the filter and block the hole prior to washing the bike. That way you can check the filter and airbox prior to riding. Fuel tank may be easily removed as well, just block the fuel line so no water gets in. Then you may clean everything! Oh, plug exhaust too!

Riding in mud and wet:

Tape up holes in mudguard.

You may run a piece along side to airbox.

Many fill area between frame and airbox with RTV.

Make a flap from duct tape, goes just in front of where mudguard goes under frame.

Tape off holes in front of bashplate.

Tape off area below radiator.

Hope that helps! :D

I am sure I seen a topic like this before but after an hour of search I gave in

I was out yesterday on my 2007 sherco and the tick over was going very strange, as usual turns out to be water in the carb.

After taking the mudgard off for the frist time (its new)I was shocked at the design of the air box, there is no way the water could avoid going into the sponge, it was crazy :D . after removing the sponge to my horror the was a massive puddle of water in the box. (It wasnt sunk or anything just water from the moors/burns). I thought the taping of the two holes on the side was supposed to stop that.

so is there any way around the problem?

and is it a good idea to drill a small hole in the air box for water to escape the box?

cheers john :D

When riding in wet conditions I seal the fender to airbox area with tape. It works quite well. When washing the bike make sure to seal off the filter. I usually just take the rear fender off and then tape the area over the filter.