South African In Devon

zulu

Hi my name is Des and originally from Cape Town - like many of us - started MX as schoolboy (got older) enduros 20`s & 30`s (got older and married) sold toy`s and bought a baby-seat ! And here i am with a cup of coffee in the shed restoring a `76` Cota 348 and riding green lanes with my Husqvarna 410.

"Youth and enthusiasim is no substitute for experience and cunning"

Hi my name is Des and originally from Cape Town - like many of us - started MX as schoolboy (got older) enduros 20`s & 30`s (got older and married) sold toy`s and bought a baby-seat ! And here i am with a cup of coffee in the shed restoring a `76` Cota 348 and riding green lanes with my Husqvarna 410.

Hi Des,i had a 349 cota in 77 and then sold it for marriage and a baby seat.Now 30years on and a pony club member i have a 08 beta270 and compete each weekend enjoying what i left.Bike s do now seem to handle a little different and where did the seat go?Can't understand you leaving the cape though for the british weather.Hout bay,somerset west,erinvale,gordons bay,etc etc

Jislaaik kerel, as jy van Kaapstad is sal jy jouself nie Zulu naam nie. Onthou jy die Pfeiffers, Mark Connelly, David Souma, Boytjie Baines ensovoorts? Waneer het jy enduros' gery? Wanneer het jy Kaapstad verlaat?

Tucker, Hout Bay & Somerset West are now large squatter camps. Unemployment is at 50% and skilled people are being made redundant in favour of people of colour, skilled or not. Leaving SA is a no-brainer.

Edited by TooFastTim

Jislaaik kerel, as jy van Kaapstad is sal jy jouself nie Zulu naam nie. Onthou jy die Pfeiffers, Mark Connelly, David Souma, Boytjie Baines ensovoorts? Waneer het jy enduros' gery? Wanneer het jy Kaapstad verlaat?

Tucker, Hout Bay & Somerset West are now large squatter camps. Unemployment is at 50% and skilled people are being made redundant in favour of people of colour, skilled or not. Leaving SA is a no-brainer.

Hey Tucker - As i write this reply i can feel both "long broken" colar-bones begin to ache as i remember the Sand Dunes in Hout Bay and then riding down to "Sandy Bay" to watch the nudist`s - or those rocky enduro`s in Somerset West. One of many reasons for leaving SA is that when i go riding the green lanes with mates here in Devon, i don`t have a 9mm Revolver strapped to the handelbar. And the car is still where i left it !

(Tofasttim) Hey boet - I am happy as a pig in kak - The riding down here in Devon is fantastic and wales is just 2hrs away for even better ride-outs. Ja motorcross in Malmesbury with a new KTM from Mike Hopkins motorcycles - those were the days hey boet ? Ag ya swaer one day maybe..

Its past my bedtime and i`ve had my hot choclate and its slaap tyd, nag.

Ja motorcross in Malmesbury with a new KTM from Mike Hopkins motorcycles - those were the days hey boet ?

Ah now that dates you. Mike must have thrown up the KTM agency in about '85 (Butch was/is a thieving bar steward) and taken the Kwaka agency. I bought a KDX from him in '86 and started riding enduros after riding trials in CT for 13 years prior to that. I never rode at SSW but practiced many times at Maccassar. I stopped riding Maccassar when I figured that someone was going to connect with a local and kill them. Started riding at Atlantis after that. So you must know Ivo Layte, Derek Morillion, Richard Giddy and Dennis Pederson?

Used to go out to Malmesbury regularly but never rode MX.

So we must have just missed each other in enduros. Des, you haven't come across a guy called Phil Larson (fat Phil) down your way have you? Ex CT enduro rider. Very nice guy. He bailed about ten years ago and found a job with some mob who make black boxes for 'planes. I've been trying to hunt him down for few years now. Nothing. Not even on FaceBook.

Have a look at http://www.cape-enduro.co.za.

TFT

*Edit* Oh! I've just remembered the SSW enduros, you mean Sir Lowrys Pass. I helped lay a few out on a trials bike with Kevin, Ivo & Dennis. No wonder you thought they were rocky.

Edited by TooFastTim