4 Stroke Question

makita

hi there amiller is write vertical is on and back is off .how are you finding the bike ive had mine for a few weeks now and still trying to get use to it but made up with it the engine still feels tight and ive done 2 oil changes

hi there amiller is write vertical is on and back is off .how are you finding the bike ive had mine for a few weeks now and still trying to get use to it but made up with it the engine still feels tight and ive done 2 oil changes

Thanks for the help on the fuel tap. I've had my bike a few weeks also. Really enjoying it so far. Traction is unbelievable. The only hiccup is when it gets real hot sometimes it wants to stall. I just adjust the idle up when I've been riding a long while. Have you encountered this issue and if so, what remedy did you use?

Not exactly. Vertical is the position you want to leave the lever, when riding. This enables the automatic fuel petcock to function. When the engine is running, fuel flows. When you kill the engine, the petcock snaps shut, and stops fuel flow. If you listen, when you kill the engine, you can hear it snap shut. At least mine does!

Fliping the lever back is NOT off. It is instead full ON, bypassing the automatic ON/OFF function of the petcock. This position is to only be used when you are trying to start the bike, and feel that the float bowl is empty.

Say for example, you crash and drop the bike on it's side. The engine stalls, and the automatic petcock snaps shut, stopping fuel flow. But, because the bike is on its side, fuel continues to run out of the float bowl, via the vent hose. Now, you pick up the bike, and can't start it because you have no fuel, and the petcock is still closed. Flipping the little lever bypasses the auto function, and fills up the bowl again. Once started, flip the lever back to it normal (vertical) position, to return to automatic mode.

Wow Mr. Shannon. I cant believe you made the change. What made the decision for you?

Aaron

Several things really. But, after six Scorpa in a row, I was ready to try something different. Friends, with some time on one of the '07 Beta 4-Strokes, indicated how pleased they were with the bike, how light it was, how smooth it was, quiet, etc. So, already having 4-stroke experience with two Scorpa, I am a total 4-stroke convert, so I figured I would give the Beta a shot. I have had my Beta for about 3 weeks now, but only had two real all day outings on it (besides my driveway and ditches). So far, I am VERY pleased with the bike. The only question is going to be durability, given the new engine design. But if my experience with the engine so far is any indicator, then I am blown away. It is still tight, and breaking in, but performs great! Starts easy, runs smooth, clutch is great, etc.

Edited by DGShannon

Hi Shannon, Happy to hear you have a new beta. Iv'e managed to put about 1 1/2 hours on mine it's getting to sit in the garage for now, I bent my right index finger back toward my wrist. I'll pm you. I had no problems with my 07.

If you plan on doing any riding at altitude call Ron Commo for some springs for the carb.

After the closet door slams shut, Darrell will like the Beater! He has no problems with altitude, except for his now overinflated ego!

Gee, just think about all them Itiaian specialty pieces on the web! And them little Beta tighties you need! Merry X-mas! :guinness:

If you plan on doing any riding at altitude call Ron Commo for some springs for the carb.

Most of my riding ranges from the Houston area, up through central Texas, to the panhandle. About the biggest altitude change my bikes sees, is going up the ramp into the back of my truck! :closedeyes:

I have talked to Ron about the springs, in an effort to get my hands on a green one (1' to 1,000'). Do you have any idea where the stock spring falls, in the range of springs, regarding altitude?

- Darrell