Novice Rider, What Bike ?

jondd21

Here is the situation, I have had involvement with trials for a number of years but not at a riding level. Now at the ripe old age of 45 I want to start riding. My preferred bike is a Rev 3 but do I go for a 250 or 270. Sadly I am on the LARGE SIDE ( sponsored by WIDE LOAD Haulage :banana2: ). My question is what is the easier to control a stock 250 or a 270 with a slow action throttle and weight on and can this be soften even more ?

Any comments ( avoiding size and weight ) would be grateful.

PS the wife just said to mention the budget .... Not limitless, below

Guest stixnstonesbrokemybones
Any comments ( avoiding size and weight ) would be grateful.

I'm the same age and have just started again after a 25 year break. I'm approaching 96 kilos - probably well over 100 by the New Year!

I had the same thoughts, and had all sorts of feedback - some suggesting to start again on a 125 or 200. In the end I opted for a new 250 rev 3 and am glad I did. The 250 has enough power to go anywhere us 45 year olds want to go, as well as a few places I didn't want to! I can't believe how modern research and technology has been used so effectivly in bikes - although the seat has now completely disappeared - lets be honest - they are still 2 wheels, an engine and some springy bits. But the smooth power delivery, the suspension, the build quality and the geometry of these modern bikes make for such brilliant fun.

I've found motorbikes again after much too long, and am looking forward to many happy years messing around in the woods. Good luck to you with whatever you decide on, but don't be put off by tales of flint shattering/ shoulder dislocating power - I reckon a 250's about right.

:banana2:

Edited by stixnstonesbrokemybones

I weigh-in at around 16 stone and the 250 has more than enough power to pull up any hill. The 270 has a sharper power delivery, not ideally suited to a novice. The extra ballast is not a problem going up, it's the going down that's a problem,all that momentum and beer to try and stop.

You can probably get used to a stock 250 or 270 and much of the difference from bike to bike has to do with the state of tune. I've ridden my friends 250 quite a bit and compared to my 270 his is more aggressive. Then again his bike was Donato Miglio's minder bike so I think it's a little... er tweaked. One thing that most will agree on is a bigger engine is more tiring. If you're not able to ride 2-3 days a week or work out the upper body in the gym then a stronger engine is not your friend. It may seem to be no problem in the parking lot but after a few hours you may find it getting ahead of you and that seriously can ruin your enthusiasm. Proof of that is any review of the 125-200cc bikes that usually end with a rave about how much fun the little bikes are.

There are very few novice obstacles that require even the power of a 250 as is demonstrated by my friend Bill who routinely cleans stuff I crash on with his little 200cc four stroke Scorpa. It's more important to find a bike in good shape that feels good to you.

Don't worry about being on the large side. You've got lots of company.

Dan

A BIG thank you to each and everyone of you that has offered advice :guinness: . It seems that my heart is telling me to seriously bite the bullet and buy a 2007 REV 4 because they seem ??? to be easier to ride but the cost and the ensuing DIVORCE over it :guinness: is disuading me. I just love the sound too.

So my friends ( if I may call you that ? ) it looks like a 2006 / 07 REV 3 250 with an ipod of 4 stroke recordings on it, and keep my good lady :chairfall: .

I will keep you informed.

The 250 is probably the way to go, and when your riding gets better you can try taking the flywheel weight off if you want it sharper!! Sweet bike, get it bought bruvva! :guinness:

That's the favourite at the moment, unless I win the lottery or I can find some secret slush fund and convince the wife that I have had a fourstroke for under

Edited by jondd21

he dos'nt........... he has been waiting 6 weeks for it to come, i think its at the bottom of the atlantic ocean :guinness:

I spoke to Mr Birkrtt on Monday, he had 3 there then, 1 going to the show, perhaps the 1 of the others are his ?

I started back on an 07 Rev3 250 after a 30 year lay off, last bike was a 250 Bultaco back in 1976! Must say that the Beta has been brilliant, power soft enough to start with but I've now crisped it up a bit by removing the flywheel weight which is better still - this also reduces the bikes tendency to run on when you shut off & I find makes it a bit more controlable. I'm a tads lighter than you @ arround 77 kilos but I'm sure you'll have ample power with a 250. Too much power is liable to get you into more trouble (I was advised to get a 200 to start with, which is also a sweet revving & pokey little bike but the Yorkshireman in me wouldn't allow myself to buy one as it was only 50 quid less than the 250 & hence not vfm in my stakes :guinness: )

Try to get a ride, surprising how many folks will let you try their bikes if you pop along to a trial, then at least you'll have an idea what you feel suits you - I really wanted a Scorpa cos of the superb build quality but found the beta had much nicer handling (again in my opinion)

Mine has also been superbly reliable, never let me down (oh dear shouldn't have said that) good clean & squirt of WD40 after each trial & only cost me a set of brake pads & rear mudguard - my fault!!

Whatever you get have fun

Ade

I started back on an 07 Rev3 250 after a 30 year lay off, last bike was a 250 Bultaco back in 1976! Must say that the Beta has been brilliant, power soft enough to start with but I've now crisped it up a bit by removing the flywheel weight which is better still - this also reduces the bikes tendency to run on when you shut off & I find makes it a bit more controlable. I'm a tads lighter than you @ arround 77 kilos but I'm sure you'll have ample power with a 250. Too much power is liable to get you into more trouble (I was advised to get a 200 to start with, which is also a sweet revving & pokey little bike but the Yorkshireman in me wouldn't allow myself to buy one as it was only 50 quid less than the 250 & hence not vfm in my stakes :) )

Try to get a ride, surprising how many folks will let you try their bikes if you pop along to a trial, then at least you'll have an idea what you feel suits you - I really wanted a Scorpa cos of the superb build quality but found the beta had much nicer handling (again in my opinion)

Mine has also been superbly reliable, never let me down (oh dear shouldn't have said that) good clean & squirt of WD40 after each trial & only cost me a set of brake pads & rear mudguard - my fault!!

Whatever you get have fun

Ade

Thanks Ade,

I have hopefully secured an 07 250 which looks in a very good, well cared for condition. Like you my last bike was a 349 Montesa in 1979 so I am sure things have changed a little. Still got a nostalgic photo on the wall in the house, God those NCB wellies with front ribbing were the dogs nuptuals then :closedeyes: .

I have since ( SADLY ) relived my childhood by supporting my son in B class nationals until a change of circumctances ( for the better ;) ) meant I had to focus on other things, so he stepped down to local events. His last bike was an 05 Raga replica, that I never had the urge to jump on, then that went, for him to focus on cars and females ( Not that he would admit that ! ).

My heart was set on a Beta 250 4 stroke but to pay a minimum of