Ty 250 Mono

matthewgbvw

I have a 1990 Mono TY 250 - given its age and weight I dont understand why it cant be regarded as the same class as a twinshock as it is miles away from modern lightweight bikes? Does anyone still ride the TY 250 mono or have they all be consigned to the dreaded field bike of farmers kids ?

Matthew

Ive got one! I like it.

I think its fair to say the later TYs ( pre TYZ's) were out of date when they were new look at a '91 Gas Gas and a '91 pinky!

But compared to a proper twin shock trials bike like a Bullet or Tiger cub they where miles ahead.

Just my thoughts

Dave

you will upset a few with comments like that, its bad enough when someone takes the mono from a ty250 and puts shocks on it and rides against twinshocks they are classed as cheats rightly so.

the classic/tradional championship runs a class for aircooled monos and more clubs should do it, the ty250 and 301 fantics were great bikes.

when the ty was introduced followed by the 301 it was the end of the twinshocks and any die hard twin shock rider would not want a mono in there class , they just dont mix.

a few years ago twinshocks seemed to nearly disapear and you could buy them really cheap not so now, prehaps one day the aircooled mono will make a come back.

The air cooled mono is making a comeback, especially the TY. A fairly tidy pinky sold for a grand on ebay last week. TY monos are still affordable, I have just bought one while they still are affordable. Only thing that they need I think is the footpegs need lowering. Other than that you cant fault them. There are a couple of regular riders of said bikes on here that often come up in the results.You will never see me there mind you but there are those that do. PS most twinshock stuff is going through the roof price wise now so a good TY is not to be sniffed at. :closedeyes:

PS both clubs round here run A/C mono class.

Edited by bo drinker

Cheers guys Time to pull the TY mono out of the weeds at the bottom of the garden and get back into it!!! :closedeyes:

Bring it out and dust it off and have some fun on it, you don't need a modern bike to ride Trials and enjoy it. (Unless you think that you are better than you really are and need a modern machine to give you an advantage)

There are hardly any "proper" classic events within sensible driving distance of where I live, so I ride my Twinshocker in all sorts of Trials (on the C route) against Novices, O/40's, O/50's and whoever else, all riding modern machines. (some guys turn out with two new bikes a year?).

I never worry about the competition or what my score is compared to the modern bike riders, as long as I feel I've had a good ride on my old Twinshock.

I would love to see more guys out riding on old Air-cooled machines with drum brakes, (or discs, if the were standard on the machine as new) be it Twinshocks or Mono's.

If more people rode them, more clubs would cater for them and the class would grow in popularity, encouraging more people to buy, restore and ride older machines in competitions.

Up until I bought my Twinshock twelve months ago, I rode modern bikes and was frustrated by the fact that I wasn't as good as the bike. Now I ride my Yammy just as good as I've ever ridden any of my new bikes and subsequently enjoy it more because my own expectations are much lower.

Lets see more older machines out there and the Clubs recognising this and setting out enjoyable, yet challenging routes for all!

Bring it out and dust it off and have some fun on it, you don't need a modern bike to ride Trials and enjoy it. (Unless you think that you are better than you really are and need a modern machine to give you an advantage)

There are hardly any "proper" classic events within sensible driving distance of where I live, so I ride my Twinshocker in all sorts of Trials (on the C route) against Novices, O/40's, O/50's and whoever else, all riding modern machines. (some guys turn out with two new bikes a year?).

I never worry about the competition or what my score is compared to the modern bike riders, as long as I feel I've had a good ride on my old Twinshock.

I would love to see more guys out riding on old Air-cooled machines with drum brakes, (or discs, if the were standard on the machine as new) be it Twinshocks or Mono's.

If more people rode them, more clubs would cater for them and the class would grow in popularity, encouraging more people to buy, restore and ride older machines in competitions.

Up until I bought my Twinshock twelve months ago, I rode modern bikes and was frustrated by the fact that I wasn't as good as the bike. Now I ride my Yammy just as good as I've ever ridden any of my new bikes and subsequently enjoy it more because my own expectations are much lower.

Lets see more older machines out there and the Clubs recognising this and setting out enjoyable, yet challenging routes for all!

I get you ...I am going to find it ( where it was last parked up in the garden!!) and re boot and fettle it - I always loved the power and torque that it had - great climber!! I considered fitting a chair but the shock is a bit soft for that I think.

I ride a TY250 mono! It was the bike of my dreams when i was a nipper and it's nice to keep it a classic up and about drum brakes and all!

Would be nice to see more a/c mono classes but given the a/c mono turnout at the last trial i went to i would win as there'd only be me in it! :closedeyes:

Edit: In reply to OP, as said above we can't ride in twinshock cos we only have one shock :)

Edited by tt5th

You must have read into my post too deep micky, my wording TY250 should have had twinshock in the sentance. i am no way in favour of converting monos to twinshocks.

I meant buy a twinshock and get it competitive :closedeyes:

Hi Pitley, I knew what you meant but perhaps worded my post badly. I am a big Majesty/Twinshock fan. I do not mean this as a criticism or a complaint just an interesting topic. I just wonder how far we should be allowed to go with modifications to our already excellent bikes and then expect to be allowed to ride in a specific class originally created for bikes and technology of a certain era. It is a huge grey area and personally I do not care, I just enjoy meeting or communicating with like minded enthusiasts.

For me the whole spirit of trials is competing against your own mind - using a bike that bends the rules is only cheating yourself.Plus it is not in the spirit of the class you entered.I'm going the other way - from a really nice TY250 twinshock to a 1968 247 Cota,to see if I can improve my riding ability to get as good results.

When I started trials back in 1985 it always worried me about how good other riders appeared before the start of a trial with their smart kit/bike.Then more often than not you saw them dabbing through a section just as badly as me.

Truth is I've seen stuff done on a scruffy TY 175 that made modern mono's look silly,its our riding ability that matters.

I just love all the bikes anyway !