Montesa 4rt Fan And Restrictors

scottyboy

Hi just looking for an idea on why my fan is not working??. I phoned main dealer and the mechanic said he had never had any faults with them, only perhaps the relay was disconected but apart from this gave no other insite?. The relay is good and is where it should be!!!. Does anyone have any ideas?? Also can anyone confirm where and home many restrictors there are in the exhaust? And what are the advantages of removal? The bike is an 06 and has been used for 1 hour so she is new!! Thanks in advance Scott :closedeyes:

hi scottie,

Not heard of a fan cutting out or not working so cannot help you on that one. Regarding restrictors this is quite straighforward. There are two in the exhaust and the easiest of the two to remove is in the front. Just unbolt the front pipe and as you take it of there is a metal tube inside with a collar on it. Simply pull it out with ya fingers. The second one is a little harder especially if the bike has been used a bit but if its only been used an hour you should be ok. When you split the front and rear pipe inside there on the tailpipe. What you do is you need gently open up the end with pliers or something then to remove the gauze type sleeve which can be awkward especially like i say if its been run a while get coked up and sticks. I used a thin gauge stick and gently teased down the sides to get out. Be patient it took me half an hour. Dont get me wrong you could rip it out in seconds but then you need a new one which costs you money. Once you have done this pull it out and the restricor will drop out.

Now for the fun part. The bike will be so much more responsive, more easier to blip, blip if you know what i mean. Gotta go easy though as it can when it grips get a little punky.lol. Anyway see how you get on but my advise is take em out, honda didnt develop such an engine to be restriced did they. Any probs give us a shout.

PS I tryed with just the front one out first and you may find this gives you enough extra power than standard. Its your call.

NJOY

Hi just looking for an idea on why my fan is not working??. I phoned main dealer and the mechanic said he had never had any faults with them, only perhaps the relay was disconected but apart from this gave no other insite?. The relay is good and is where it should be!!!. Does anyone have any ideas?? Also can anyone confirm where and home many restrictors there are in the exhaust? And what are the advantages of removal? The bike is an 06 and has been used for 1 hour so she is new!! Thanks in advance Scott :closedeyes:

did you remove the wiring harness for the lights

did you remove the wiring harness for the lights

Hi i didnt remove any wiring this was done prior to me getting the bike. I have looked and followed the trials wiring diagram and it all seems as should be. I let the bike idle for almost 15min and the fan is not cutting in. Ive got a mate who claims to be a wiring wizz!! But would rather get it sorted myself. Any more ideas????

Scotty the first step is to disconnect the fan and apply 12v DC direct to the fan motor.

If it runs then the problem is on the power supply side.

If it doesn't run the problem is the fan motor.

If the fan runs then you need to check the power supply to the relay when engine is running, if no power to the relay that is the probem. If there is power to the relay then issue is with relay, temp sender or wiring from that point etc.

Good luck

Hi i didnt remove any wiring this was done prior to me getting the bike. I have looked and followed the trials wiring diagram and it all seems as should be. I let the bike idle for almost 15min and the fan is not cutting in. Ive got a mate who claims to be a wiring wizz!! But would rather get it sorted myself. Any more ideas????

Hello Scotty,

I have experienced a similar problem. After one month of riding the fan stop working, but I did not noticed, till I rode a different 4rt. Checked the fan by putting power to it, it was fine. Checked the resistance on the thermostat, also OK, disconnected the thermostat wire and it worked!! OK, but So what was the problem? Shame on me, I was missing over 500 ml of water!!! Added coolant and now I am happy camper. Never had to add water again..

FR