250 Vs 270

hop blip and a jump

why are so many people scared of the 270 beta???

Just like my mate hovis he was to scared to buy one so headed down the 250 route!!

I've ridden both and they both excellent bikes, why do so many overlook the 270 and go straight for the 250???

what are you on about? me ....... scared?

you know nothing scares me, and it was just the first tidy bike that came along, now i cant see the point of a 4 stroke, but hay ho

I put a set of V-Force in my '08 270 and must say that it made a great bike even better. Smoothed out the bottom even more and lets it rip up top. Only change I made to the jetting was to drop the pilot 1 size when I had the carb out to put in the reeds.

I don't think its a case of being scared. Even John Lampkin advises that if you are not an expert you do not need a 270 as it will not be used to its full potential. I would even say as much, that you all will not be able to do anymore on your 270's , than on a 250 if you are all honest .

Just waiting for the barrage now, that you are all top expert riders :thumbup:

Cant argue a bit. I like the 270 better though. Been riding them since 2000. Ever time I try the 250 I find the 270 easier to ride. More low end grunt without the revs plus more up top when I want it. I like the occasional 4th gear hill climb. The flip side of the equation is that Im a huge clutch rider. I cant do anything without the clutch.

If you are good with the clutch and that fits your riding style you can tame a 270 with ease. If you ride a little more to the Old School clutchless style than you might not get along as well with the 270.

Aaron

Ive had 3 250s and four 270s, i wouldnt say im expert but the grip i seem to find on the 270 is awesome,

it could be to do with the gearing being slightly higher,im not sure

the 08 though doesnt want to rip your arms off like the previous models.

Edited by betabonkers

Raptor Ti hangers from my 05 don't fit so looks like an ebay job :thumbup:

drop us a pm if you want to sell them...

I ride a 2000 rev3 270 and after haveing the engine rebuilt its become a bit of a handfull power wise..

i know there is a thinner base gasket to higher the compression so i'm thinking of putting two maybe three normal gaskets in to lower it .. anyone tryed this before or am i barking up the wrong tree..

John and Steve had always advised against a 270 for me as well.... but then He does know how bad my riding is :thumbup:

The 08 does seem very much easier to ride than previous 270's i have tried. Main reason i am having one is that this is the first brand new bike i have had since i was 17, it will have to last for many years so i figured there is no way i would wear out the 270!! (that is my excuse and i am sticking with it).

... cheers for the info on the v-force. Maybe i will put it in and see how it goes. I have a vmar top triple clamp to go on as well as a black headlight and some carbon bits. A white front mudguard will also be fitted when i find one that looks ok.... sadly my Raptor Ti hangers from my 05 don't fit so looks like an ebay job B)

Just a heads up... if the V-Mar triple clamp is for the '06 or prior year bikes, it won't work. The triple clamp for the '07/'08 is thinner. I tried to use a V-Mar clamp that I had here and found that out after I had everything taken apart... doh!

To 08 Beta 270 owners:

Please if you will check to see if the 270cc 08's are coming with the counter weight installed.

If my info is right the 06-07 270's imported to the US did not have the counter weight installed to make it a much quicker response bike.

Just wondering if that is why the new 08 270 may be a little more mellow on the bottom.

Easy to see if the Counter weight is there, just look through the oil fill port to see a void or the counter weight.

Thanks

Jack

All come with a flywheel weight fitted here... if you look at the flywheel cover it has a 1cm spacer fitted between it and the engine casing to allow for the weight. When you remove it, as i will, you need shorter allen screws to enable the removal of the spacer so that the cover sits closer and gets scratched less.

Do you know if the weight is fitted to 07 250 as well ?