Protection, Do We Need It?

Ok we all should recognise that we need to be wearing a helmet to protect your melon when you come off. But I wonder how many people wear knee protectors or back protectors whilst riding. As trails is generally a low speed sport do we really need this type of protection. I have seen a few people wearing such protection and I was wondering if A, it is really required and B, where are they getting it from........MX stuff I wonder?

I would imagine it restricts movement?

After twisting up an ankle pretty badly I now wear ankle braces. Not sure if they really do anything but the psychological affect is huge.

I notice most people wear helmet, gloves and boots. Then after an injury begin applying various protective gear for that injury.

Being new to trials ,from an MX & TT background(racing and owning/operating 2 tracks),here's what I've noticed.

Before entering my first trial I read the results from several clubs,and noticed alot of DNF's ,I wondered why? poor maintainence ? how can you break your machine in a low speed sport? :kerstsmiley::hl:

After entering several(3) events I soon realized how easy it would be to break your junk, ie. big rocks ,logs, ledges,ect. :wacko::lol: .

But here's the difference I've noticed in my limited exposure,most of the DNF's ,I saw were from guys crashing, not big in relation to what you see in Mx/TT,but when you go down on a hill strewn with big rocks you don't have to roll very far to get some good knocks, I never saw anyone finish the trial after taking a "dirt nap" which really suprised me , I think a little more armour would help.

BTW ,as you might have guessed I wear the same gear as I do in MX/TT , I figure if I'm going to drive 2-4 hours to ride ,I don't plan on leaving early cause of a "yard sale" :madnoel:

bah to protection, you fall off, you get up and get on with it

although im invinceable

Thought just the same thing when I was young..... now I'm old and limp, it takes me 15 minutes to get down the stairs in the morning and cold weather makes me ache.

I sure wish I'd looked after myself better when I was young, but I don't expect anyone young to listen... I didn't.

Thought just the same thing when I was young..... now I'm old and limp, it takes me 15 minutes to get down the stairs in the morning and cold weather makes me ache.

I sure wish I'd looked after myself better when I was young, but I don't expect anyone young to listen... I didn't.

me too