Protection, Do We Need It?

My sixsixone kneepads paid for themselves today. Fast walking pace crash down a rocky gully (between sections - don't ask me how) and over the bars - smashed my right kneecap onto a rock.

Was painful even with the kneepads on and I have some bruising and a slight limp. There is no doubt in my mind that without protection this would have been a MAJOR injury.

So far, 8years riding,I've been very lucky with regard to crashes! Never anything worse than a bruise and some small scrapes. I put it down to sheer bloody mindedness. 'NO, I'm NOT going to hit the ground!' There was one crash earlier this year, I'm told I got my head on a tree and the observer didn't expect me to bounce up straight away! (Thank god for lids!)

I've never worn any protection other than gloves, boots and a lid. I have braces on my knees 'coz they get sore quite a lot, but that's just to keep heat in and keep the joints together!

I must say I've always thought that knee pads would be restrictive, especially under the skinny Trials jeans everyone seems to wear! Elbow pads look awkward and again restrictive, but I do see there are advantages in wearing them. Being a Southern Softie I very very rarely ride anything resembling a rock, but I can imagine that those who do regularly are a lot more at risk of getting kneecapped.

In a roundabout way I guess I'm trying to say while I've no real need (at the moment!) of extra protection, I can quite see that there are those who do! I would argue that a real novice could benefit from the extra feeling of security offered, but that same novice could be at a disadvantage when he/she improves, as the pads would restrict movement. I reckon it would take a few years of riding for the restrictions to be noticeable and to have a detrimental effect, by which time the novice is no longer, and is less likely to have a fall. I guess then one could say that getting better means tougher sections, which means potential falls are potentially worse, which increases the need for pads . . . a vicious circle!

Thankfully the mud is nice and soft around here, so falls are soft een if the washing machine does get a workout!

Just my tuppence worth!

Pete.

So far, 8years riding,I've been very lucky with regard to crashes! Never anything worse than a bruise and some small scrapes. I put it down to sheer bloody mindedness. 'NO, I'm NOT going to hit the ground!' There was one crash earlier this year, I'm told I got my head on a tree and the observer didn't expect me to bounce up straight away! (Thank god for lids!)

I've never worn any protection other than gloves, boots and a lid. I have braces on my knees 'coz they get sore quite a lot, but that's just to keep heat in and keep the joints together!

I must say I've always thought that knee pads would be restrictive, especially under the skinny Trials jeans everyone seems to wear! Elbow pads look awkward and again restrictive, but I do see there are advantages in wearing them. Being a Southern Softie I very very rarely ride anything resembling a rock, but I can imagine that those who do regularly are a lot more at risk of getting kneecapped.

In a roundabout way I guess I'm trying to say while I've no real need (at the moment!) of extra protection, I can quite see that there are those who do! I would argue that a real novice could benefit from the extra feeling of security offered, but that same novice could be at a disadvantage when he/she improves, as the pads would restrict movement. I reckon it would take a few years of riding for the restrictions to be noticeable and to have a detrimental effect, by which time the novice is no longer, and is less likely to have a fall. I guess then one could say that getting better means tougher sections, which means potential falls are potentially worse, which increases the need for pads . . . a vicious circle!

Thankfully the mud is nice and soft around here, so falls are soft een if the washing machine does get a workout!

Just my tuppence worth!

Pete.

I dont think protective gear is restrictive, bearing in mind that 20 years ago it was impossible to ride with a helmet or gloves for the same reasons quoted !!!!!

• Like 1