Pain In Hand

over the last few weeks i have developed a sore left hand, more the pinky and the adjasent finger.

the pain often runs down the wrist

I personaly think it could be a tendon problem but i am not sure, it seems to occur when doing a big step... i think it is to do with gripping the bars and pulling back hard

tried many things to stop this;diffrent gloves, no gloves, new grips, extending legs more, the worst was stopping riding for two weeks(that was a grim last resort) went back on bike then after an hour or two it was back.

does anyone else get this problem?, if so how did you sort it?

I was going to post something similar!

I hurt my wrist racing my quad at weston about 2 months ago, and lately i've been getting a strange pain running up the back part of my fore arm from my wrist, it hurts a lot when i'm going up things and holding on tighter to the bars???

At first it was just a pain in the inner part of my wrist behind my thumb but now thats not quite as bad, but the other pain is a beast??

Any ideas??

I had carpal tunnel syndrome and general rsi symptoms, the advice i was given was to work on stretching the nerves to give them more slack.

Imagine a piece of string being held tightly round a series of bends and the friction you would get at the turns and then imagine that same string but with a degree of slack in it.

The main excercise which helped me was;

1. Arm outstreched to the side, palm facing forwards

2. Gently while keeping the arm stretched move the palm backwards trying to attain a 90 degree angle against the arm.

You will feel the nerves tighten at some point, in my case at about 45 degrees. Repeat with the other arm and repeat on a daily basis. It should loosen the nerves up a treat after a while.

My older doctor said to do a similar excercise against a wall to allow you to put more pressure on your hand to stretch it back but my younger physio said not too. Jury is still out on that one....

A search on google will give you a load of other stretches to help with Carpal Tunnel / RSI but this is the one that worked for me.

I was going to post something similar!

I hurt my wrist racing my quad at weston about 2 months ago, and lately i've been getting a strange pain running up the back part of my fore arm from my wrist, it hurts a lot when i'm going up things and holding on tighter to the bars???

At first it was just a pain in the inner part of my wrist behind my thumb but now thats not quite as bad, but the other pain is a beast??

Any ideas??

if you spread your thumb from your index finger you should see a small indent from thumb going back to wrist. This is called the snuff box ? ? apparently there is a small bone in there which is really difficult to diagnose if its broken or not and doesn't become apparent for some time after break, two weeks or more even on xray. If this bone isn't treated it dies and causes pain which may require surgery.

I broke a wrist in summer 07 and was given this advice by the Doctor i saw.

As always go and get it checked out properly it may save you time off the bike in the long run