What Fork Oil Weight Is Used As Standard?

beta bodger

There have been several posts on this in the past and I have made inquries but have not done them yet. My '07 is probably due after riding all year, yet I procrastinate.

Firstly, the quantities listed are supposedly correct at 385cc left, and 370cc right. The problem is getting all the old oil out!

These measures should yield you a oil level measurement from top of tube with left spring removed of L 110mm, R 60mm.

Some have said to remove the the cartrage from the right fork in order to pump it to remove all the oil.

An inquery to RYP on the subject just said to pump the fork up and down for 20 min. to do the same, then pump another 20 min after replenishing oil to remove air.

My theory is a bit different, such as remove caps and spring, ck measured oil height, drain out bottom while measuring what came out. Put back what came out then pump forks to remove air and verify oil height prior to capping off!

I really do not care if it all comes out! Much like servicing an automatic transmission, you never get it all out, just want to freshen it up! All is good in the hood and I am not going to mess around for hours on end with such a trivial issue!!

My thoughts! :D

Cope , pump for 20 minutes to get the oil out and another 20 minutes to get the oil back in, your having way to much fun pumping.

Wayne will be getting a new bike at the Tenn. world round, so maybe some updates later.

Edited by rlracer

Thanks Copemech. Interesting you quote different quantities of oil for the later bikes.

The guides for the 03 state 350cc.

If yours is an '06, the forks are totally different!

Even on the '05 and back, the 350cc spec is for a dry fork at overhaul. 330cc is more better on a drain and fill as you really do not get it all out!

RL never keeps a bike long enough to change the fork oil! He just sells them to some poor mexican to let them do it!(Like THAT is gonna happen) :D

Copie , I do know how ! I change mine every 6 months and I do 3-4 other pair a year for other riders, mostly sherco. So put that in your coors light can and swallow. Next time your up here at the house i'll do yours for you and provide you with a cold one.

Well, Mr (i change my underpants every day at noon so i don't get skidmarks), since you have done it soo many times, WTF do you do? :huh: Pump THIS for about 40 min.! :D

I'm trying to give this guy a clue here!

PS, He is a friggin BETA driving convert(same forks)and wears itialian undies now! :D

Ha!

Why isn't this stuff listed somewhere?

So to confirm I should be putting 385cc in the left leg and 370cc in the right for an 06 bike?

Oh and I take it the left and right is from when im off the back facing the front?

It is listed on the RYP sist under service manuals and other info:

Oil types and levels for the 2006 trials models Paioli front forks

Oil level on right leg: 60mm With forks at bottom Quantity: 370 +/- 4cc Oil level on left leg: 110mm With forks at bottom and without spring Quantity: 385+/- 4 cc Oil type Idemitsu O J RACING TYPE 01 Viscosity at 40

• 4 weeks later...