08 Beta Plug

spudsdad

BETA stick the colder running BR7ES cos they build the bikes in a warmer ( italy ) country....

You can fit a BR5ES or BPR5ES which runs at a higher temp, however in our colder counrty....works well.

Check it out with your local dealer to make sure tho...

Lampkins recommend a 5. The number represents the heat range. On a 7 the firing end stays cooler and dissipates heat quickly and hence is a cooler plug than the 5, suitable for the Italian weather. The 5 is a hotter plug, firing end heats up quickly, dissipates heat more slowly, better suited to the weather here.

Result, less oily plug.

This was the case for the 06 and 07 bikes anyway. Give them a call to double check for the 08.

Begs the question, why don't they come with a 5 as std in the UK?

I assume you are all talking about 2 Strokes. My 07 250 2T came with BP6ES. I have always been given these from BVM when I have brought new plugs from them and my bike has always ran fine. However I have noticed that the bike does need to be cleared out a lot after lots of use during a trial. I got a plug of Lampkns and they sent me BP5ES. I thought this was a mistake, but obviously not after reading the posts above. I think Il see what difference this makes.

Cheers

Tony

QUOTE (paul w @ Jan 5 2008, 06:33 PM)

based on what ?

the hotter weather

as far as i am concerned this is the wrong way round. the higher the number the hotter the plug.

the rev3 has always run better on a hotter plug, this is the reason why the importer advises to use a 5 rated plug.

some people use these forums as a source of good information, to genuinly help with set up, running and riding.

hovis , you are giving out misleading information, if you dont know, dont reply.

thanks paul w for the sensible reply, i agree with you a 5 rated plug would be better in the winter as it runs hotter. as stated before my bike came with a br7es and a change to a br5es i can understand but where does the bp5es come in ? have compared a b5es and a bp5es and the bp has a longer tip to it [longer projection obviously the "p" bit in the plug number] do these run hotter than a b5es?

bike runs ok on the br7es but just looking to get the best from it

I assume you are all talking about 2 Strokes. My 07 250 2T came with BP6ES. I have always been given these from BVM when I have brought new plugs from them and my bike has always ran fine. However I have noticed that the bike does need to be cleared out a lot after lots of use during a trial. I got a plug of Lampkns and they sent me BP5ES. I thought this was a mistake, but obviously not after reading the posts above. I think Il see what difference this makes.

Cheers

Tony

If the bike needs to be "cleared out" it's not a plug issue. The plug is only indicating the conditions in the combustion chamber. Like a thermometer. If you feel cold and the thermometer in the room says it's too cold then changing to a thermometer with a different scale may say a different temperature but the room hasn't changed and you'll still feel cold. Fix the fundamental issue. Either change jetting, ignition timing or oil ratio if the engine is healthy or fix a problem. Just changing plug heat range is a false economy.