Sy250 Noisy Exhaust

montman

the center box welds crack this is a common fault on the scorpas take it off then have it rewelded i done mine my self having accsess to a allie weld set never had any probs since the packing in the back box will be fine no need to replace it

Yes, it will happen on the 07. Very simple cure... take the exhaust off and you'll notice a spot on the center exhaust where it has been rubbing on the motor. Actually rubs where the serial number is located on the motor, there is a very sharp corner there. Just file that corner round and problem solved.

True about the sharp edges on the edge of the case where the serial numbers are. A good blob of silicone does the trick there.

As far as splitting along the weld this was cured from the 07 bikes on. Scorpa welded on a reinforcing piece on the back of the centre box (the section that was prone to split on earlier bikes). it does not seem to be a problem now.

• 1 month later...

Had a long split on the middle box welded a few weeks back and the bike 'rides' so much better.

Still would be interested if anybody has tried an alternative back box that is re-packable.

Welded up my centre box last year and ground off the offending corner on the top of the gearbox.

However, the rear silencer is now getting louder. Has anyone had the Birkett re-pack done recently and if so how much did it cost?

Alternatively, has anyone bought a new silencer instead?