Exhaust Leak

scorpa4banger

I have a sy 250 07 is it normal to get some back oily crap drippling out from underneith exhaust flandge on the front pipe where it bolts onto the motor ? its not much but usually if I run it for a while you can see drips comming out ..

Running motul factory 2 stroke oil at 70 - 1 with the fuel mixture screw out 1 3/4 turns ..

just unleaded fuel also

any ideas ? , the two flandge bolts are tight too.. only had the bike from new since september/october this year

Reasonably common problem, probably due to never having torqued the bolts properly at the factory, or the owner not retorqueing after running in the motor (have you done your cylinder head bolts?......)

Easily fixed with a judicious use of exhaust sealant. Remove the header pipe (a cut down allen key makes removal of the left hand side bolt heaps easier). Leave the original gasket in place and apply a full circle of a fine bead of sealant to the exhaust flange. Refit and torque down. Leave it to go off before starting the motor.

I like to use the PermaTex High-Temp copper coloured gasket sealant, but there is many brands and types available. It will cure the leak if applied properly.

• 9 years later...