More Techno Questions .....

francley40

I've just returned to trials, after about 20 years out, and got myself a 1998 Techno. It's basically pretty sound but I've been making it a bit more user-friendly than it was. I've repacked the silencer box but found it very difficult to do. Has anyone got a good method for doing this well? The silencer packing material I ended up with with was the 'string' type from Apico. I was expecting the baffle to be fixed within the silencer but it comes out of the silencer as it's attached to the end cap. Trying to get the 'string' to stay packed round the baffle and out of the way of where the baffle joins the silencer was nearly impossible. I'll have to give it another go but would like to know of a better material and method.

Also: where the silencer joins the exhaust mid-section the two o-rings don't really provide a very good seal. Any better suggestions, please?

Has anyone succesfully polished up the first section of the exhaust? Or had it chromed (what did it cost)?

Forks: Any idea what the AGIP OSO 46 oil is that's recommended, in the handbook, for the left fork leg? 5w oil in the right leg seems to offer very little damping - anyone tried anything else?

Linkage: I was suprised to find no grease nipples on the linkage. Can you grease it other than by taking it completely to bits?

Any help with the above, or other useful tips, gratefully received.

Welcome :shutup:

Exhaust Packing - I purchased some sheets of packing material (about a fiver from most bike spares shops), it wraps easily around the baffle (you can hold it in place with some wire if you want) before sliding it back into the exhaust. Really is a 20min job.

Linkage - some people have added their own grease nipples as there arn't any as standard. It is very prone to drying out and wearing. I would recommend taking it apart, replacing any worn parts/bearings and fully packing with grease. Whilst it's apart you could then add some nipples.

Hope this helps.

Repacking the silencer on the Techno I usually us the rolled sheet style packing. I simply wrap it around the pipe and then wire it to hold it into place.

I have found that more is not better so do not overpack. I then use a scredriver to push the packing into the end cabs.

o-rings on the silencer I have used a "light coat" of form a gasket. Seems to work however must be cleaned off and replaced each time the silencer is pulled.

I have polished the silencer on a Techno and also a Rev. I wet sanded up to 1500 - 2000 grit than used polish to bring it to a nice shine.

This takes time, I am sure I spent about 30min a night for a week to get a nice finish.

It looks nice and I have had many positive comments in the past. The only negative is it requires a quick polish and buff every now and than to keep the

nice bright shine.