A Blast From The Past, 1982 Scottish 6 Day Trial Pictures.

honda_tlr

Yip that's pretty much it, davieboy.

Not quite "box section" swinging arm but certainly not round tubing, it had a rounded edge to it, same as 340 spec but with 250 motor. Yes abreviated rear sub frame and a special airbox with a big rubber bung on the left hand side. Rare beast!

Big John

I didn't realise they were so rare.I will have to make some moves to get it back.Again.

I also had a Miller Highboy framed model 92 350.Bought it from a Traffic Cop from Bearsden.I was returning home from a trial in Bonhill with the 198 on the trailer when I saw the blue lights and siren behind me.A traffic beemer,I thought the trailer lights were not working or something.Big cop came up to me and says'nice bike,I've got one something the same,would you like to buy it?' It was the highboy.Needless to say

I didn't realise they were so rare.I will have to make some moves to get it back.Again.

I also had a Miller Highboy framed model 92 350.Bought it from a Traffic Cop from Bearsden.I was returning home from a trial in Bonhill with the 198 on the trailer when I saw the blue lights and siren behind me.A traffic beemer,I thought the trailer lights were not working or something.Big cop came up to me and says'nice bike,I've got one something the same,would you like to buy it?' It was the highboy.Needless to say

Edited by Big John

The Bultaco Sherpa 250/198B is rare because they were a small production run. The Bultaco company was ailing by the time they were producing the 6 speed 340(mod. 199B) and the five speed 250 (mod. 198B)

Yes I've seen the highboy Bultaco you mention, purposeful enough bike but looks a bit odd. I thought it was a bit of a bitsa to be honest, but that is probably the purist in me! :shutup: It has late 340 sliders/forks and a strange set up regarding the sidepanels if I remember correctly.

Big John

The forks were from the 198.I put an autojumble front wheel on as well,from some Japanese trail bike,don't know what.Better front brake.

The panel set-up was a bit cheap looking.

Good spot on the forks.You know your Bulto's.I think Graham rode it at Alvie last year.

1 Bernie Schreiber (280 SWM) 105

2 Toni Gorgot (350 Montesa) 123

3 Eddy Lejeune (360 Honda) 126

No Toni was second in '82 he won in 1983!

Big John

1983 HELL that was a long time ago, my first SSDT and OH !!! to be 17 again.

Yep BJ your right Toni did win in 1983 on a Prototype 330 Montesa, I was a few places behind him :shutup:

The forks were from the 198.I put an autojumble front wheel on as well,from some Japanese trail bike,don't know what.Better front brake.

The panel set-up was a bit cheap looking.

Good spot on the forks.You know your Bulto's.I think Graham rode it at Alvie last year.

I'm not knocking Graham's bike, I don't do that...

The front nearside slider at the lower pinch bolts had been repaired using a bracket arrangement, yes it was at Alvie last year and I always scruitinise Bultacos! :shutup:

Maybe, just maybe at Alvie this year I may forego my BSA B40 and ride a Bultaco!!!

Big John

Edited by Big John

I'll see if i can ask Paul tomorrow, but by rider numbers, I think we can only rule out J Kelly. All the others, depending on what day it was, could have been close to Eddie Lejeune's start time - in photo 24 on number 279, with all the crowd still in the same place.

Admittedly Paul Sagar could have been one of the closest to him depending on number of entries.

So from comments on here, it's either Paul Sagar or A Puckrose by the look of it.

He's not in, we'll have to wait. Dropped the photo through, he'll give me a ring.

I'm not knocking Graham's bike, I don't do that...

The front nearside slider at the lower pinch bolts had been repaired using a bracket arrangement, yes it was at Alvie last year and I always scruitinise Bultacos! :shutup:

Maybe, just maybe at Alvie this year I may forego my BSA B40 and ride a Bultaco!!!

Big John

Sorry if you thought I was having a go,I'm not.

I had the two Bulto's myself and enjoyed them very much.I sold them to put more time into my mountain biking but a year later I missed trials

so bought myself a Beta 200 late last year and am enjoying it.

Maybe if funds allow I will reknew my love of Sherpas.

I have a twinshock Husky which I plan to race with the classic club next year,but that's another story.

p.s. Graham has a pre-74 Pursang and plans to race it as well.

He's not in, we'll have to wait. Dropped the photo through, he'll give me a ring.

Paul Sagar just rang - picture 23 definitely him, remembers all the kit, says it's the worst ride he ever had in the Scottish, and his first at age 17. Must have had a long paper round, he looks 30 on there. Having said that , he does look 10 years younger than me now so I'll shut up. :shutup:

He's in for his 25th ride this year and hoping for his 24th finish, so he's allowed back next year.

One year at a time eh :o

Is he the only one of the blokes on the photos that is entered this year?

Edited by bikespace

Didn't Gorgot win on a crate like this?

http://www.geocities.com/guanaco_es/c_349.jpg

I had one of those - last derivative of the 349, called the 350. Much nicer than the 349, different frame, swingarm, shock position. Mine had the red guards which looked nicer. What the MH349 was based on.

Gorgot's bike was pretty much one of these but with the new 330 motor.