A Blast From The Past, 1982 Scottish 6 Day Trial Pictures.

honda_tlr

I had one of those - last derivative of the 349, called the 350. Much nicer than the 349, different frame, swingarm, shock position. Mine had the red guards which looked nicer. What the MH349 was based on.

Gorgot's bike was pretty much one of these but with the new 330 motor.

Pains me to say this being a "Bulto Boy", but the Montesa 330 was a very good twin-shock trials bike, many of the current twinshock Spanish riders like them very much!

Big John

1983 HELL that was a long time ago, my first SSDT and OH !!! to be 17 again.

Yep BJ your right Toni did win in 1983 on a Prototype 330 Montesa, I was a few places behind him :shutup:

from memory Toni was the only rider with a score under 100 - if we made it that hard today there would be a riot

Half fancy a 330 Mont myself....

I noticed a lot at Robregordo were more than a little modified. But some 'mods' were sensible. I can see why they nearly all lower the footrests..... I tried one and it was like being stood on the seat

I've never really lusted after Bulto's .... I don't dislike em but they don't do that much for me... I must be a bit odd?.... thats why I had a 300 Fantic

I've got a load of my rank (-r +w) scottish pics somewhere

I might get some scanning done if I find them.

I've never really lusted after Bulto's .... I don't dislike em but they don't do that much for me... I must be a bit odd?.... thats why I had a 300 Fantic

Each to their own Rosey...OK I know you seem to be an opinionated type of guy, but as long as you don't slag them off, I don't mind! :shutup:

You going back to Robregordo in May then?

Big John

(Bulto Boy)

Didn't Gorgot win on a crate like this?

http://www.geocities.com/guanaco_es/c_349.jpg

Yeah I had one of them. Good bike but it was competing against the Fantics and it was "game over". Good in a straight line it took a lot of muscle to get it round a corner. The Fantics went straight and round corners. It was a hell of an improvement over the first 349 I had which kept breaking in half.

Yeah I had one of them. Good bike but it was competing against the Fantics and it was "game over". Good in a straight line it took a lot of muscle to get it round a corner. The Fantics went straight and round corners. It was a hell of an improvement over the first 349 I had which kept breaking in half.

Come to think of it, didn't the first 348 Malcolm Rathmell Replica Montesas not have a nasty habit of breaking at the headstock? Seem to remember one on Blackwater, 1977 SSDT sheared in half. I think the rider was a guy called Alan Blood (anybody in TC land know him?). I think he went back up the next day to recover the bike with two other guys and they walked the bike off the moor. They rigged it up by reconnecting the throttle cable and putting a fence post through the frame , started the bike, selected bottom gear and drove it off, with the other guy pushing the front forks and wheel like a wheel barrow!

Big John

John the first 349 I had was an '80 and a factory prototype or a pre-production number. It had been used by Ulf Karlsson. It differed from the production in that there was a cross-member behind the bashplate, underneath the motor on the production version. I assume that this cross member was added to reduce the stresses passed up to the headstock. Hence mine cracked the headstock regularly.

Hi there guys:

Big John:

I waited 10yrs to be able to finally afford to ride the SSDT for the first time in 92, a bit past my prime. I now am fully involved in riding my 300 Fantic to the best of my abilities in a serious fashion! ;) . Before I leave this earth,( which will be a longtime I hope) I will long to ride at Alvie again with my twinshock with you blokes, and to ride in Spain in the amazing event that you all are going to ride again this year!!!

steve

Hi there guys:

Big John:

I waited 10yrs to be able to finally afford to ride the SSDT for the first time in 92, a bit past my prime. I now am fully involved in riding my 300 Fantic to the best of my abilities in a serious fashion! ;) . Before I leave this earth,( which will be a longtime I hope) I will long to ride at Alvie again with my twinshock with you blokes, and to ride in Spain in the amazing event that you all are going to ride again this year!!!

steve

Steve, you are very welcome, I do hope that once again you will be in a position to join us over here in Scotland for another ride round Alvie Estate on a twin-shock or Pre65 bike and if possible join in the fun at Robregordo another great event which you would enjoy immensely!

Big John

I have waited a very long time for this...

Big John

Nigel Birkett appears to be on a 156 Fantic not a 240.

The 240 forks and yokes are different and the barrel is all black on a 240

and the sprocket appears to be on the left, the 240 had the sprocket on the right

fingers crossed I'm right !

I could be on Nevis radio again with this !! ;)

might not see you in May John as another little quinn is due but maybe if I take the double buggy.........

Edited by Baldilocks

I have waited a very long time for this...

Big John

Nigel Birkett appears to be on a 156 Fantic not a 240.

The 240 forks and yokes are different and the barrel is all black on a 240

and the sprocket appears to be on the left, the 240 had the sprocket on the right

fingers crossed I'm right !

I could be on Nevis radio again with this !! :thumbup:

might not see you in May John as another little quinn is due but maybe if I take the double buggy.........

Nice one GQ!!!

Absolutely correct, I didn't actually look at the bikes as I was too busy looking at the programme. How sloppy could I be? Must admit I got a bit over excited with the Bultaco 198B in the first photo. Walter Dalton had entered on a Fantic and then swapped bikes to the 198B, as for the rest I pretty much glanced over them, concentrating on the rider moreso! (I now think that the 198B is actually a Comerford one, prepared by Reg May himself as Walter and Reg were good friends, also the swinging arm is just the very same as the 340 I bought from Dabster recently, over to you "Legs" if you are reading this thread!)

Having said all that I will award you the distinction of proving me wrong here on TC, Baldi old pal, well done indeed!

I no doubt will never hear the end of it if I am involved "on the radio" in May. Good idea, take the new born Quinn up to Scotland, the sooner the bairn hears the noise of a motorbike, the better!!!

Oh my God, I'm beginning to sound like Ralph Venables! ;)

Big John

Hello guys

Been lurking on the site for a while but had to post to this thread as it brings back some great memories of spectating at the scottish.

I have some pictures from the 80s but not sure which years (old age affecting memory) i think the early ones are 83 and the later ones 86 and 87.

i'll try and attach them to this post to see if you boys can come up with the answers.

scan0061.jpgscan0073rathmell.jpg

scan0058.jpg

scan0076renyolds.jpg

scan0080swm.jpg

scan0078ossa.jpg

scan0060.jpg

Later pictures

scan0066.jpg

scan0063.jpg

scan0095.jpg

scan0092fantic.jpg

scan0087.jpg