50 Years Of Bultaco

greeves

This year is the 50th. aniversary of Bultaco CEMOTO 1958-2008. Trials bikes started to be built in 1964 with the first 3 prototypes of the Model 10 "Sammy Miller".

Happy birthday, and thanks for so many trials enjoyed. Thanks BJ for this pics, it would be nice to see more Bultaco photos here.

Edited by Greeves

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another:

Martin lampkin 1978/BenNevis

Did Martin Lampkin win the first ever World Championship in 1975?

I would have been 9 or 10 years old in '75 and I remember me and a mate of mine jumping on a bus one Satuday afternoon to look at the new trials bikes in the big bike shop at Keighley (Colin Appleyards?) We stopped off at Silsden on the way home and somehow managed to find big Mart' fettling a bike whilst a young sprog peddled his little tricyle around the yard. I've no idea if it was a 2yr old Dougie up to his eyes in mud but I do remember the recently crowned World Champion taking time to have a chat and show us his bike :shutup:

As Physco would say "TOP MAN, RESPECT"

:o

Edited by Kinell

Did Martin Lampkin win the first ever World Championship in 1975?

Yes he did as it was named the European Championship before then, although in my eyes it was always a world championship anyway, a change of title due to including USA and Canadian rounds for the first time changed nothing in reality. He'd already won the championship before in '73.

Nice pictures and in the second black and white one, nice to see a Bulto being forced up a proper section. People seem to have forgotten these days that they are capable of a bit more than riding in and out of a few sticks in the ground....

Just for those who are interested in the old days!...

The first black and white shot is Bernie Schreiber in 1977 on Kilmonivaig, near Spean Bridge, the only time the Scottish used that section.

The second photo (black and white) is Charles Coutard in 1976 on Edramucky, the first day "terror" near Killin just down the road from what is now the Ben Lawers visitor centre. The first sub of Edramucky was quite hard, the second or top sub was a fair bit easier (must have been because I cleaned it in 1977!)

Big John

Here's Big John (250 Bultaco, lubricated by Bel-Ray Total Performance Racing Lubricant at 75:1) on Kilmonivaig, not riding it as professionally as Schrieber! Same year...

post-26-1200676688.jpg

The "man himself" Samuel Hamilton Miller and the first model 10 now referred to in Spain as the "Model Sammy Miller"

post-26-1200676906.jpg

Edited by Big John

Big peak!

Exactly!...

It was an American style peak, similar to the Duck Bill type, but more downward pointing and had a flip down visor built in, which broke off, hence the Scott goggles (made in Sun Valley, Idaho) on top of the helmet. the paek may have been made by Baruffaldi, all the rage in motocross around the 1976/77 era. I bought it at Motorite Comp Shop, Hook Road, Surbiton, Surrey. At that time it was jointly owned by John Wright and Vic Allan. Does anybody remember Motorite?

Big John

Edited by Big John

Whilst a young sprog peddled his little tricyle around the yard. I've no idea if it was a 2yr old Dougie

Brian, if you're memory's right and it was '75 it couldn't have been Dougie 'cause he was born in March '76. I remember reading Mart's column (probably ghost written ;) ) in "Motorcycle" after he'd won the world championship and he told the punters to wait for a "Martin Lampkin" replica in early '76 and that it nothing to with Bultaco. The replica was of course Dougie.

Happy happy Bultaco. We're still waiting for the return of the real Bultaco.

The Bulto family withdrew the rights to the name from Marc Tessier. Supposedly for financial reasons but there may be more to it than that (PM me for the other reason). It would be great if the Bulto family gets involved again.

Triumph wasn't a dissimilar example. John Bloor bought the rights to the name in about 1980 and leased the rights to manufacture to Norman Hyde (?) who manufactured the parallel twins. In the meantime Bloor was developing the new Triumphs and in 1990'ish he withdrew the rights and commenced manufacturing Triumphs in their present form.

Edited by TooFastTim

Brian, if you're memory's right and it was '75 it couldn't have been Dougie 'cause he was born in March '76. I remember reading Mart's column (probably ghost written ;) ) in "Motorcycle" after he'd won the world championship and he told the punters to wait for a "Martin Lampkin" replica in early '76 and that it nothing to with Bultaco. The replica was of course Dougie.

I think it could have been later as I wouldn't have had the money for bus fares at 10yrs old :thumbup: Could it have been Harry or is he younger than Doug? Either way, it was Mart' that we were impressed with meeting that day...