08 Beta Stator

betabonkers

my son has on 02, we got last year.

I am told the stator problem is 03 and later, and the water pump case corrosion issue is 03 and later with magnesium cases. Anyone have direct experience otherwise?

I have no reason to doubt the info, but just need to know if I should be sparing an expensive stator.

And I do have oil in anitfreeze, although seals I hope sort that out.

k

my son has on 02, we got last year.

I am told the stator problem is 03 and later, and the water pump case corrosion issue is 03 and later with magnesium cases. Anyone have direct experience otherwise?

I have no reason to doubt the info, but just need to know if I should be sparing an expensive stator.

And I do have oil in anitfreeze, although seals I hope sort that out.

k

It probably is the seals although when you take waterpump housing off you might find the casing is corroded and have trouble sealing it with the o ring when you put it back on, you may be lucky though fingers crossed, ive had a stator go on the 02 as well. hope i havent put you off. :wacko:

Edited by betabonkers

Every Rev3 beta i have owned has had stator and / or CDI problems and my 06 just had to have the stator and CDI replaced.

Thats not really the point is it, if you buy a new bike it should work properly.

Couldn't agree more. After owning a couple of Beta Technos from new without a single problem, I thought the Rev3 was the way to go and bought a new 250 in 2004.

Yes, they changed the stator free of charge when it went; and yes they supplied an identical replacment; and yes.... that went too!

Chopped it in for a Scorpa after just five trials and TWO stators! :wacko: It's beyond belief that people are still having the same problem! :bouncy:

I'm trying not to name names here (cos' I think it's up for sale now) but I recently parked up alongside 'someone' with a very,very unused 2007 rev3(cosmetically immaculate) .

It wouldn't start..then it did..then ran loik shoit..opened up the flywheel cover...soapy water poured out...sprayed everything with WD..but too late.

I rode off to warm up my bike then returned to find...Rev3 owner driving off in a rage (poor sod).

Here endeth the lesson.

what is the failure mode?

has anyone done any home preventive remedies?

If the issue is shorting to outside, maybe a dip in the electricians glyptol or something like that ahead of time? prior to the soap water gaining entrance.

If it is internal shorting, ..... not much can do there.

I will seal the case carefully and add a vent hose, like the old Yam and the old GG...

Wishful thinking, I assume if that simple the factory would have already done it....

k

Having owned a Beta for a few years and read every post about this over that time I think the problem is down to the quality of the electrics rather than physical contamination.

I've never been that impressed with the spark on the Beta and something occurred to me at the weekend as I was putting in a new plug. The recommended gap is very narrow for an electronic igntion and most plugs come with a near 50% bigger gap. I would bet BJ the other half pint of shandy at Fort William that most owners (and perhaps the factory) simply bang in a new plug without regapping.

Could it be that the strain put on an already weak system by having to jump too big a gap eventually causes failure, with eventually being pretty soon on the most marginal systems?

It 's worth taking the stator plastic cover off after each trial.......I've done this with the Beta's I've had and every time ....cover comes off and water is present......not by the gallon, however more than enough ! Never had a hassle with the 06 nor 07

Might be the fix for you...

All this aside, it would be good for the factory to get to grips with this. After all, if the stator fails and you've just bought the bike, can it be said to be fit for purpose...?

Despite the stator being changed free of charge...!

welcome to betas had and still got 2 a techno and rev 3 both stators went had rewound at motoplat never had any probs since steve at motoplat says its the thin wire they use at beta it breaks at the first turn of the windings his stators are wound with thicker wire and says they are a lot better than betas crap ones the techno one was wound about 3 years ago and i never dry it off we ride in streams so water doesent seem to affect them

I've owned my '04 250 Rev-3 for 3 years, no problems until now with a corroded water pump side case.

I guess I'm lucky with no stator problems.

My bike doesn't get riden much lately, I think that water in the coolant caused the corrosion.

Didn't know to use 100% coolant!