Scottish P65 & Other Event Eligibility

trialsrfun

Hi Guy's

Hi TRF.

Ive' donned the stripie appron, this week, and gone back to good old traditianal English cooking.

Used the old rubber oil seals that "Leek", added some "Pig" iron for bracket's on the frame, "brazed" it slowly over an old oxy acetalene flame, then, tossed in the castor based oil. "The Dish" Im' calling BSA WD B40.(Braised, Smoked,Added,Water,Diced,British,For Over),Fourty few years.

Spelling?

Regards Charlie.

The eledgebility for pre 65 bikes is obviously a very emotive one, I agree with a lot of what Mike Rapley says, personaly I think that the pre 65 rules should have been jumped on and policed a long time ago. I have just looked up "pre" (as in pre 65) in my dictionary and the defenition is beforehand, previous to, so there we have it, does that mean "ONLY" needs to look like" pre 65?, or should it mean the machine specification should be, beforehand, and previous to 65. for example I find it hard to understand how a trials bike using a frame that is made in the 80's from a specification of steel that did not exist in 65 can remotley be accepted as pre 65. There are so many fiddles & fiddle parts that seem to be accepted, the mind boggles !!. But thats my opinion.

Is it now time to call a halt to pre 65 development, if it is allowed to cary on are we to see in a few years time crankcases manufactured from composite materials, and engine parts made of simular material, and ceramics ?, and/or frames made from carbon fibre tubing "glued" together somehow, and then will we say " well it looks like a alloy crankcase, the frame tubes look like they are steel, and what does it matter if the piston is made from a ceramic material, you cant see it!. If the rules are not looked at this will thru natural progression and human deceitfulness happen. Perhaps there are people that want to see wonderful "natural" 60's trials bikes pushed to the rear of the shed and never used, or only seen at exhibitions, that would be so sad, it is our history, part of our British trials bike heritage may be lost, to what ?, something that "LOOKS" like a 60's trials bike.

As a matter of interest, would my 1965/5 BSA C15 trials bike with the frame that I made in1964, that has no frame tubes beneath the engine, or the "works" C15 BSA with monoshock rear suspension that was made in 1964/5 be elegiable for the pre 65 scottish ??.

Slinny

As a matter of interest, would my 1965/5 BSA C15 trials bike with the frame that I made in1964, that has no frame tubes beneath the engine, or the "works" C15 BSA with monoshock rear suspension that was made in 1964/5 be elegiable for the pre 65 scottish ??.

Slinny

As I understand it, no.

You'll obviously know far more about what was on the boil at BSA back then but even though a C15 existed prior to 1965 with oil in frame and no bottom frame tubes (wasn't Scott Ellis riding an oil in frame bike prior to '65 before BSA stopped him?) these were not features of the production bike, therefore not allowed. Which is why the Miller/Otter/Faber framed bikes are not elligible (although I would love to see what happened if Sam entered on a C15 using his own frame..)

On the subject of oil in frame, was an Ariel HT5 production bike oil in frame? I know Sam's bikes were but what about the production bikes? I didn't think they were oil in frame, but the replica HT5 frames carrying oil are ok in Pre65 Scottish.

As for a mono C15 from 1964, I would love to see the reaction that would get....

Not features of the production bike? If production bike only was to be the criterion there would be not many in use. Perhaps in the immediate Pre '65 period people could and did ride "as built" bikes but, not very long before that, modification of spec was always carried out. Fripperies lke air filtration (of a sort), brakes, exhaust, handlebars, footrest position, ground clearance etc. I have a book from 1958 that tells the owner how to modify all these things to make his production trials bike rideable; so it was all done at the time to some extent.

Interestingly the advice for the Scottish was to push the bars downward and forward and to move the footrests backward due to the steep hills and high steps "in the track".

Edited by 2/4

Is it now time to call a halt to pre 65 development, if it is allowed to cary on are we to see in a few years time crankcases manufactured from composite materials, and engine parts made of simular material, and ceramics ?, and/or frames made from carbon fibre tubing "glued" together somehow, and then will we say " well it looks like a alloy crankcase, the frame tubes look like they are steel, and what does it matter if the piston is made from a ceramic material, you cant see it!. If the rules are not looked at this will thru natural progression and human deceitfulness happen. Perhaps there are people that want to see wonderful "natural" 60's trials bikes pushed to the rear of the shed and never used, or only seen at exhibitions, that would be so sad, it is our history, part of our British trials bike heritage may be lost, to what ?, something that "LOOKS" like a 60's trials bike.

Slinny

Great ideas :rolleyes: Where do i get the ceramic piston and i like the idea of the carbon fibre frame. :unsure: As for traction control and ABS working on those at the moment.

Back to the future thats the way. Got me thinking now Hmmmmm know some people into composites and Formula 1 Must ring them up tomorrow :D

Edited by Old trials fanatic

or the "works" C15 BSA with monoshock rear suspension that was made in 1964/5 be elegiable for the pre 65 scottish ??.

Slinny

I reckon i might have the actual frame here. Sadly the shock has had it ,but with a bit of work i reckon a Yam one would fit.Dont suppose you kept the log book?

Indeed!

The "stop and restart test" which tested brakes and clutch were working, at Blackford Hill Edinburgh on the Saturday. The very last thing before final scrutineering to check to see that the marking seals were intact!

Big John

Now this is what I call a real special!

Ultra short stroke motor with various little touches to improve the bike, alloy engine plates, central oil tank, Greeves rubber rear number plate; cut & shut rear subframe etc etc.

My old friend from Comerfords, Jock Wilson displays his 1962 16C, suitably reworked in Comerfords comp shop, nice one Jock!

Big John

post-26-1202508038.jpg

Now this is what I call a real special!

Ultra short stroke motor with various little touches to improve the bike, alloy engine plates, central oil tank, Greeves rubber rear number plate; cut & shut rear subframe etc etc.

My old friend from Comerfords, Jock Wilson displays his 1962 16C, suitably reworked in Comerfords comp shop, nice one Jock!

Big John

post-26-1202508038.jpg

Nice one BJ but does bring to mind the discussion about "tricked up" pre 65 bikes. :beer: