Aluminium Bash Plate

125gold

has anyone made a bash plate for their trials bike, i had a look on the internet but there is so many different grades of aluminium to choose from, can anyone tell me what is the best thickness and what is the best grade of aluminium plate to use , thanks in advance alan

Was also trying to find a solution for damaged bottom frame tubes on my (soon to be renovated) '82 Mont 200. I remember back in the '70's, Rob Edwards did a cut frame tubes out and install Aluminum bash plate on my Mont 247, it looked and worked a treat.

Does anyone know of a suitable AL bash plate that could be used (with some plate welding) for a Mont 200 ?

Sorry this isnt a solution for you 125 Gold, but some of the answers or suggestions may be similarly useful !

Cheers,

7075 T-6 alloy is the stuff, about .186(3/16) thick!

You cannot really form this stuff in it's hardened state, the formed ones are heat treated after forming. U cannot weld it either! You may be able to do some cold forming on it with a proper press setup, but the bend radius is very limited.

To get the strength out of a more forgiving alloy like 6061, you would need to go to at least .250 thick ! Even though it is much more flexable and weldable, you better be set up to do it!

Edited by copemech

I have made a new plate for my 4rt, 6mm thick but can't remember what spec.

Will have a look when I get back to work on Monday or have a chat to a local metal supplier in Yellow pages or see what some of the after market suppliers are specifying. (if in doubt copy)

Approx

Bought Metal from Non Ferrous Metal supply company in Bridgend. Phoned up and available within a couple of hours cut to size. Alloy grade just searched web sites for an alloy spec sheet try www.aalco.co.uk/technical/aluminium.html

I have used 5052 in 3/16" and 1/4" thickness.

From McMastercarr

Forming and Working

Also known as workability or bendability. It's the extent to which a material won't crack when bent without applying heat.

Excellent

Good

3003, 5005, 5052, 5086, 6063

Fair

2011, 2017, 2024, 6060, 6061

Poor

2007, 852.0, 4032, 6013, 6020, 7068, 7075, MIC 6, QC-10