Beta Rev 4t Problems

petertlr

Just bought a '07 Rev 4T and I'm having problems with oil and antifreeze leaks that seem to be coming from the case and cylinder seals. I've never owned a Euro bike only Japanese so not sure what to expect.

Is this common on Betas? What is the best fix?

I realize the four stroke is so new most have no experience with them but any help would be appreciated.

One dealer told me some leakage is normal and another said that they change the crankcase gasket and it is fixed (the 2 stroke).

Hi - I have no specific knowledge of this engine, but generally if a seal starts leaking then it will need replacement, so would suggest this is done first. On disassembly, it may become evident why the leak has occurred, but if not, then at least you will know that you have started from a known condition and any further leaking will require 'expert' advice.

Hi folks,

I'm told that the coolant can erode the magnesium casing ( something to do with the amount of Mag in the casting ).....commonly about the water impeller cover. It tends to degrade the inner aspect of the channel of the seal and doesn't allow the cover to seal and sit correctly. Also from a recent conversation, it can degrade the water impeller bearing seat this can perforate, and allow coolant to wash around the clutch etc.....

I also understand that those who need to know....know. Although I haven't heard what remedy is planned ( hopefully something definitive is in the pipeline).

Interestingly, the price if the outer clutch casing has been significantly reduced ....!

Welcome to the 4-stroke world Peter. First leaking is not normal, second this is a four stroke right ? The case and pump is differant then the 2-stroke, the pump is in the head on the 4-stroke.

Yes, I have had an 07 and have an 08 now. I'm trying to get a picture of what is going on, if you are having oil weeping around the head/cylinder area there is a fix for that. You say case area, where exactly bottom of cylinder ? center case ? clutch side case ? Coolant and oil mixing together or each leaking differant areas.

Peter you can PM me if you would like.