2001 Gas Gas Txt280 Fork Oil Weight

996mick

hell just wondering what weight fork oil they put in 2001 txt280 from standard.i am about 13.5 stone.cheers

300cc's of 5 weight fork oil per leg. If you have problems with bottoming, you can add a little more to raise the fork oil level. Oil level has an effect on the last third of fork travel, but you may want to add some preload to the forks to start with with bottoming out symptoms.

Jon

• 6 years later...

Thanks Biff, I was wondering about measurement from top of slider (vs. replacement volume)?

I've read 100mm, but also 160 in the newer forks...

An example of the question here,

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/34074-09-gas-gas-pro-fork-oil/

...but specs for the older forks are not referenced; I don't think the '01s had aluminum Marzocchis.

A very wise man and TC poster here has a great explanation of why fork level measurement would be better than volume. You can use either or. Experience says 300 however i have used as little as 250 to get my bounce on. :)

Here is the website where he explains this. http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/Technical/trials-suspension-tips.html

Here are his valuable words "Setting fork oil level by actual measurement rather than volume is more accurate. If your service manual doesn’t give a fork oil level but just the c.c. measurement here’s a way to find out. Flush the forks with kerosene or mineral spirits ( DON’T use gasoline ) and let them drain. Add the c.c. amount called for, compress the fork tube ( spring removed ) and measure from the top of the tube to the oil. A narrow metric ruler works best. You can experiment with more or less of a level to get the action you like. 5 mm changes in oil level will make a change that is noticeable but don’t raise it too high as the forks will hydraulic lock and possibly blow a fork seal. 10 to 15 mm should be a limit in most trials forks. Increases in fork oil level mostly affects the last third of travel."