Problems Ahead - Solutions Anyone

hensley

1.00 EUR

=

1.54189 USD

Our Current Economy aint good. I hear people arguing whether gas will be $4 or $5 per gallon by summer. Our governments solution is to borrow $2000 from China give it to me so i can send it to Spain for a new trials bike or parts. If the Xispa becomes successful who knows maybe i can return it to China. Michelin would probably think thats a good idea but i dont think it will work

I dont think trials can be killed if things get too bad for me i can ride a 10 yr old bike and stay at home and it will be about the cheapest form of entertainment there is. But what about all the luxauries were used to world round, nationals, trips to the ttc ect. Seems like we are going to need a bigger base of riders to support events as many finances may cause them to opt to stay home.

Any one got any ideas. Importer direct sales may be a good idea maybe not, it at least gets us talking, more regional events maybe another good idea. The Sooner cup with TV ads i sure hope that works and i personally think it will

I personally have seen the number of trials bike in my area triple in the last 5 years from 20 to maybe 60 riders However they are almost all laid back and wont leave the Ozark hills to ride an event. as far as that goes or even have an event here in the Ozarks it still helps with bike sales . Almost all of this growth is former Enduro riders and has come from one used bike dealer promoting the sport, recent success in the Endurocross and LMS causing Enduro riders to want to tune up their skills. I have been trying to do my part by getting the local enduro club to put a trials segment in their forum. Unfortunatly with my grammar and verbal skills I find myself talking only to myself on this forum with an occasional enduro rider joining in however they seem to love videos i post and i have helped a few get started and converted to trials.

I really think if a few on this forum wood start posting in local enduro forums in their own area plus ktmtalk and thumpertalk have trials segments we might get enough new riders to weather this economic storm.

Gas is a killer to motor sports. But, if you love competition, you'll suck it up. Noel and I are going to be plastered with high gas costs this year traveling the EnduroCross, World and National trials circuit.

Hensley, as for the growth? These older guys buying recreational trials bikes are part of the answer. And you're doing your part by getting your kid to the events. Homer's a up and comer. The key is getting younger riders to work up the ranks. We need these newbies to get their kids involved in the sport. That's how this sport will continue to grow. And yes, I believe trials is growing. We're heading in the right direction - even in this bazaar downturn for the economy right now.

I forgot to mention on all all our new riders the most impressive were the 2 i met at the national forest last weekend. They were on Gas Gas 50s one was 6 one was 9 they rode i bet 10 miles of chadwick trails the 6 year old fell at least 20 times and never complained. The 6 year olds dad was on the ISDE team a few years back so watch out we may have some big talent on the way

Great thread Hensley! Cross over promotion is exactly what we need more of. I think the gas price figures into it when riders consider a long trip or a national. The top riders will make the trip, but the amateur rider and spectator count may suffer. LOcal trials events and perhaps Enduro cross may actually stand a better chance of gaining riders since they can do the whole thing in an easy day. The MOTA has two different two day trials events scheduled this year in an effort to help with the gas/driving costs.

Those new trials bike owners you mentioned are potential trials riders once they see how simple and fun a day at a trials can be. The trick is getting them to go. I'm sure the "fear factor" is a big reason that many avoid competition. They see a picture of an expert doing a huge splatter and decide that they don't need to go cause the'll never do that! Once they see just how a beginner or novice line looks they might reconsider. We had lots of interest by trail bike riders last fall when we did a combination event (observed trials and an organized trail ride). We even picked up a few new riders for 2008 season. I am all for getting the word out there (to the Enduro, MX and Hare Scramble guys) Many kinda snicker at trials in it's pure form, so maybe the E-Cross idea is the bridge that might work. I will try to get a few threads going in some other groups, I know it's already begun in our D-14 Michigan area.

For guys like you, Craig..how does this fuel affect your travel budget? As much as you guys travel do you suck it up or find another way to get some additional sponsor $ to cover the added fuel expense? Are you still thining of making the trip for any of our Enduro-cross Events?

Keith

When I first came to the US, many of our local club riders would load up the van with three or four riders, bikes and kit, then set off for the weekend at PNTA or nationals events, all chipping in for fuel etc, for some reason we seemed to have a lot more fun, it was always an adventure that we would laugh about for years, even the top riders were out there camping out of their vans.

Then the bigger is better idea seemed to take hold, and if you don't turn up in a min 30ft gas hog, your not really into the sport.

A couple of years ago when gas was $2 a gallon, I wouldn't think twice about dragging out the old road coach, today the price is heading towards $4 per gallon, time to change!! I can pull the seats out of the kid carrier, load the bike and sleeping bag, pad and go to the nationals for less in fuel cost than it was back then.

Yesterday it cost me $169 for 52 gallon to fill the RV, sad part is it was a third full anyway ;) I can go camp with the kid's three weekends at local trials, on that one tank of gas, still very good value for an enjoyable weekend, but the long haul events are a different story and it doesn't make sense to spend a couple of grand in fuel.

Remember Ray Peters, driving to events in the Honda Civic with the little tear drop trailer on the back, and world championship rider sharing a van with riders they were competeing against, it might do us good to tighten the belt a bit, the best thing about this sport, is the people who do it.

Trials is an amazing sport! I am still wondering why I have been out of it so long. I was only involved from 1983-1991. I came from a motocross background however when I was 12 or so, I used to ride my Hodaka over logs and such. I also used to read the how to section in my Clymer manual that showed me how to turn my Hodie into a trials bike. I was introduced to trials by a great guy by the name of Bob Miller. Bob used to take me to all of the events, we would show up and Bob would open up the sides of his trailer and he would have all of his "Section One" trials products for sale.

I remember going to a trial at Donner ski ranch (my second event) and Bob and I having dinner with the great Scott Head! I could not beleive how close eveyone was. You had great people like Art Webster, Howard and Laura Galbreath, all of the Belvior family, Kip and Fran Webb, all sorts of people that just loved the sport! Well, I have started riding again along with my 12 year old son, and let me say, I LOVE THIS SPORT! While I still compete in Off-road events on my "go fast" bike, I still have a huge passion for trials.

Being a business man (I own a motorcycle business) the problems that I see with the sport today are as follows:

1) As said before, the Euro is at about 1.52-1.53! This makes it very difficult for manufactures, distributors, and dealers to all make the bikes affordable.

2) New bike sales seem to be down from when I was involved. I feel this is more from the lack of marketing of the sport more than the price increases on bikes or the price of fuel. MX and Enduro bike sales (KTM, etc) are still doing very well.

3) I am aware that many trials riders out there do not want growth however the trials industry needs to set a long term goal for bike sales/growth. Distributors cannot make a living selling 100-200 bikes per year! Dealers cannot make it selling 10-20 units a year! It also hurts the manufactures as well.

4) The sport needs a major USA indoor series. Enduro Cross has shown many Americans what skills trials riders have however it is not what trials is all about. An indoor series would allow outside sponsors to be listed on the sections and such.

Here are the GREAT things that Trials has going for it:

1) The sport is safe! I had a Supercross team in 2006. Supercross is very dangerous! If you take a beginner rider on a MX track today, it is overwhelming for him or her. Most tracks have doubles, triples, etc. Trials however is not intimidating for a Jr. rider. Jr. riders are the sports future!

2) Trials bikes are quiet. There are land closures everywhere. This is mostly due to noise.

3) The bikes are really cool!

4) The cost of upkeep on a trials bike is pennies to the dollar compared to MX and off-road. We are currently selling 4-stroke MX bikes and the moto Dads do not have the skills to make the repairs. When a motor blows up, the bill with a discount is well over $1000.00!

5) It is FUN! Again, it is not intimidating!

I can tell you that growth is needed! The sport will starve if it continues to decline. This growth can come slowly, but it must come.

Does anyone else have any ideas and/or suggestions?

Tim Pilg

I do not think it will effect attendance at the world round.We are going to car pool and split the fuel costs.Plus it is a good time of year to get to go to some warmer climate and a much earlier spring.Hope to see everyone there.JR

Trials is an amazing sport! I am still wondering why I have been out of it so long. I was only involved from 1983-1991. I came from a motocross background however when I was 12 or so, I used to ride my Hodaka over logs and such. I also used to read the how to section in my Clymer manual that showed me how to turn my Hodie into a trials bike. I was introduced to trials by a great guy by the name of Bob Miller. Bob used to take me to all of the events, we would show up and Bob would open up the sides of his trailer and he would have all of his "Section One" trials products for sale.

I remember going to a trial at Donner ski ranch (my second event) and Bob and I having dinner with the great Scott Head! I could not beleive how close eveyone was. You had great people like Art Webster, Howard and Laura Galbreath, all of the Belvior family, Kip and Fran Webb, all sorts of people that just loved the sport! Well, I have started riding again along with my 12 year old son, and let me say, I LOVE THIS SPORT! While I still compete in Off-road events on my "go fast" bike, I still have a huge passion for trials.

Being a business man (I own a motorcycle business) the problems that I see with the sport today are as follows:

1) As said before, the Euro is at about 1.52-1.53! This makes it very difficult for manufactures, distributors, and dealers to all make the bikes affordable.

2) New bike sales seem to be down from when I was involved. I feel this is more from the lack of marketing of the sport more than the price increases on bikes or the price of fuel. MX and Enduro bike sales (KTM, etc) are still doing very well.

3) I am aware that many trials riders out there do not want growth however the trials industry needs to set a long term goal for bike sales/growth. Distributors cannot make a living selling 100-200 bikes per year! Dealers cannot make it selling 10-20 units a year! It also hurts the manufactures as well.

4) The sport needs a major USA indoor series. Enduro Cross has shown many Americans what skills trials riders have however it is not what trials is all about. An indoor series would allow outside sponsors to be listed on the sections and such.

Here are the GREAT things that Trials has going for it:

1) The sport is safe! I had a Supercross team in 2006. Supercross is very dangerous! If you take a beginner rider on a MX track today, it is overwhelming for him or her. Most tracks have doubles, triples, etc. Trials however is not intimidating for a Jr. rider. Jr. riders are the sports future!

2) Trials bikes are quiet. There are land closures everywhere. This is mostly due to noise.

3) The bikes are really cool!

4) The cost of upkeep on a trials bike is pennies to the dollar compared to MX and off-road. We are currently selling 4-stroke MX bikes and the moto Dads do not have the skills to make the repairs. When a motor blows up, the bill with a discount is well over $1000.00!

5) It is FUN! Again, it is not intimidating!

I can tell you that growth is needed! The sport will starve if it continues to decline. This growth can come slowly, but it must come.

Does anyone else have any ideas and/or suggestions?

Tim Pilg

Good points Tim! I think the "warm fuzzy" aspect of trials could be a great draw, it's just that the low profile style of the trials community does not do very well at self promotion. The other thing going against the popularity of trials is image. Many younger riders want the "hotshot" image of a tricked out CRF450 laying sideways in the air off of the big triple! Most new riders know that they won't ever do that, but it "looks cool" and is also what your buddies are thinking as well. Enduro cross is not trials for sure, but as I mentioned earlier, it may be the "bridge" that will help to put some new attention (and energy) into the sport of trials.

Cross marketing into the non competition world of trail bike riding is also a place to look. As many have mentioned, most off road bikes (of all kinds) never enter a formal competition, so it stands to reason that if those folks were made aware of what trials is about, we might attract with our "warm fuzzies" .

I too have been away from the trials community for many years. I rode actively in the 70's and didn't return to trials until a few years ago. Over the years I stayed active with numerous other forms of bike riding and racing and promoting (still do) but finally gave in to my "roots" and got back into trials. I read through our MOTA rule book recently. It contains a year by year history of the organization. The MOTA hosted several National rounds and other exhibitions that attracted world class riders in the 70's and early 80's. Our events use to have hundreds that signed up at every event. Along with many others who worked very hard was my childhood buddy. We both started riding trials at the same time, after a few years he stuck with trials and I jumped into the world of MX. In the MOTA history, the quote "human dynamo" is attached to Gary's name in the year that he co-promoted the first MOTA Indoor Trial and Exhibition and a National. My point is all about the "human dynamo", no matter who it is, where it is, or when it is is....I believe that it will take few more "human dynamo's" to move trials from where we are now.

"He who rests on laurels, get's knocked on a*#"

Keith

How much will the hike in fuel costs affect the attendance at this years World Round in April?

Here in the US watching someone else do something is a big deal My brother bought a box of 12 tickets for the entire year at the new sprint center kc mo. He sold tickets to Garth Brooks for over $500 per seat. The Big 12 basketball tournament (one of 20 tournament across the U.S that is played before the ncaa tournament) Thursday thru Sunday 11 games for $2000 per seat. Now compare that to the world round $50 for 4 days and it makes it hard to complain about the gas.

An indoor series would be great I went to last years indoor event and it was great. I wonder if the person who is just introduced to the sport if they wouldnt prefer the indopor national over the world round simply because you can see it all from one seat and eat pizza.

I think not having a national around the same time will reduce spectators. I don't mean the same day. But a day or so before. It adds to the carnival like atmosphere.

My daughter planned her wedding around the last WR so I wouldn't miss it. But I gave her the wrong date!! DOH!!! I got to be there friday and sunday. Luckily I only live a couple of hours away.

I'll have two Polaris Ranger Crew's there this time to help haul the tired up some of the hills. But I'm still waiting on my TC bumper stickers. I think I'll make some illegal TC knock off shirts for the drivers. Then when we're hauling the press around they will have to be impressed. If I get my TC bumper stickers. I know they make it here I saw AXLSUV with one on his car this weekend, nice fantic!

I think the endurocross exposure is very good for the sale of trials BIKES. Not necessarily for the sport or compettion side. But without bikes on showroom floors, mass sales are not very likely.

I also think having riders like David Knight say in interviews that "he felt like trials gave him a great start as far as bike control". is super PR. Lots of other top riders have trials bikes, if we could get testimonials from them that they just have fun riding them. That would put the idea in more peoples mind. RC, Trey Batey, Russell Bobbit just to name a few.

We should sell that they are fun! Not just try to get people to compete. That's where the crowd is.

Tim, Do you sell trials bikes?

Edited by paul_thistle

"I also think having riders like David Knight say in interviews that "he felt like trials gave him a great start as far as bike control"."

Sammy Miller was also a world class roadracer. Mick Grant appears to have done a lot of trials riding in the off seasons from being a GP roadracer. I think Roger DeCoster was a Belgian trials champ (maybe schoolboy though) before becoming a MX star. Mick Andrews seems to have been pretty handy on a scrambles track before deciding to concentrate on trials.

It seems like there ought to be a lot of other similar (and more current) examples of trials experience being a benefit to people in other areas of motorcycle sport.

cheers,

Michael

Tim,

I just looked at your website. I don't see any new or used trials bikes, nor any mention of same. But the place looks snazzy, and large. Does your mx team do much for you? I don't mean directly, but in sales? Do you still have service trucks? You can pm me or email at paulthistle@hotmail.com. Just curious, I carry yamaha and polaris.

Edited by paul_thistle

Nah! Those old fossils aren't going to sell any kit, we need new blood! Maybey Britney or angelina, then we could sell to everyone! :) Lane would have to buy a new one or be laughed off the set, Blacklisted(again).

I love it, Angelina in a body suit on a new Beta......hmmmm. :)

Anyway, that made me think of when KTM did an ad with Sheryl Crow, anybody else see that? Something about "real riders- bikes for real people" She was on a bike, riding -guess it could have been a double...