How I Made A Proper Skid Plate For My Greeves.

biffsgasgas

Ok so i am in the midst of my greeves/honda project. Taking a honda tl125 engine and transplanting it into a greeves (what i think is a pathfinder) chassis. I call it Gronda.... I have heard of Hondeeves projects but i wanted to be different.

So while it was down to bare chassis I decided that this thing needs a proper skid plate. My dad has another path finder and two other Anglians and his designs were not to my liking. This frame was my christmas present from him. I cant start to tell you how excited i was... <<<i am such a trials nerd!

So here is what I did. I acutally did this earlier this winter but just getting around to posting it.

I did this with steel because of my lack of aluminum welding skills but aluminum would be better for weight.

First you need to start out with the bare frame.

skidpan5.jpg

Then get yourself some 1/16" angle iron and clamp it to the frame.

skidpan2.jpg

Then i grab my trusty straight edge and try to eye ball the straight edge on the frame.

skidpan7.jpg

Then I made a second mark perpendicular to the angle iron.

skidpan6.jpg

After i cut out that chunk, I bent the iron then lined it up with my frame. Now i am leaving about 1/8 inch of space so that my frame and my pan are close to even. You can change it to suit your needs. I repeated this process untill i had 2 bends for my iron.

skidpan4.jpg

I bring my newly bent iron over to the bench and weld her up.

skidpan3.jpg

Flip it around to verify that i had good penetration and to verify that the back side was nice and flat. I didnt want to bolt up to any welds. In this case i didnt have good penetration so i patched it up later on.

skidpan1.jpg

Now this is where i got either way to excited or I had a few beers in me... I dont know but some how i didn't get a picture of me welding my plate onto the angle iron. I took 1/8" plate steel and clamped it to the bottom of the angle iron. I left a bit of a gap at the frame as i was welding on both sides. I would weld down the length of the iron on onside then down the other. After a length was completed I used clamps to help bend the plate steel to the next length of iron. Weld that up and continue untill the plate was securely attached. I curved down the end of the plate on the front edge to make it pretty. I removed the front and rear frame bolts. Then i marked and drilled the plate to use the oem fasteners. To make it just a bit stronger i added one bolt in the middle which required me to drill a hole in the oem frame. Heres the pic of the welded piece.

greeves2.jpg

After that i repeated the process for the other side then powder coated them both in flat black.

greeves1.jpg

Both sides are independant of each other so one is a bit forward of the other..... ehhh its functional is my thoughts. It should be solid enough to ride trials. It took me a solid weekend of tinkering to get this done. I will update the project as it gets closer to completion.

Have a great day.

--Biff

Guest majestyman340

Looks nicely done...............but wonder if its that good an idea to modify something as rare as a Pathfinder with alloy beam front down tube?

This picture is ALMOST complete, as these are just the prototypes for low CG stability! To complete this project, you need to let the ol'lady pile just a few more old clothes, shoes and **** in the garage so you can move the gas cans just a bit closer, invite Zipper over so there are more beer cans in the floor(a few cigar butts) and make a 2x3 area for the new Tig machine you got just for that project.

At least you are learning!