Wheel Bearings

aardy

Hi folks just wondering if anyone can help. I have not much experience of working on motorbikes and I thought the old ty (1985) would be a good place to start. Well the problem is I replaced the wheel bearings on the back wheel. Then I found after a few miles they were as bad again. I contacted the bearing supplier and they sent me another set. I opened these and I checked them and there appears to be some movement if you hold the centre and wiggle the outside. I am just wondering if they are meant to be like this or if they are giving me duff bearings. Anyone have a clue as most people I've spoke to never check what they are like before they put them in.

Hi,I would say if the bearings are a good fit in the wheel and then the wheel is loose it does sound like duff bearigs,there is not normally any noticeable play in a wheel bearing in my opinion.

You can get bearings with different internal clearances. You might want one with greater clearance if it is going to be pressed onto a shaft with a lot of interference that causes the internal race to grow a bit.

The first thing I'd look at is to see if your internal bearing spacer has collapsed. I've seen wheels where the inner spacer rattles around between the bearings.

If the outer races of both bearings seat against a shoulder but the inner spacer is too short the bearing life will also be short as the inner races move towards each other. If you have one bearing that doesn't have a shoulder to seat against (say the opposite bearing is against a shoulder and then has a circlip outside it to constrain it in both directions) you could have similar problem if you've got the inner race up tight against the spacer but have driven the outer race too far down the bore.

cheers,

Michael

Hi folks just wondering if anyone can help. I have not much experience of working on motorbikes and I thought the old ty (1985) would be a good place to start. Well the problem is I replaced the wheel bearings on the back wheel. Then I found after a few miles they were as bad again. I contacted the bearing supplier and they sent me another set. I opened these and I checked them and there appears to be some movement if you hold the centre and wiggle the outside. I am just wondering if they are meant to be like this or if they are giving me duff bearings. Anyone have a clue as most people I've spoke to never check what they are like before they put them in.

I just replaced the rear wheel bearings on my 85' TY. I'm not aware of new bearings ever being that loose and they are usually fairly solid feeling. You'll want to get the "2RS" type that have the steel/rubber shields on both sides and then carefully pry them off with a thin pick and pack the bearing with waterproof grease and re-install the shields. Use a little anti-seize in the cleaned up hubs to ease the bearings in (start by tapping around the outer race to get the bearing started in square) and a long socket that fits the outside race (attaching a 6 or 8" extention helps you keep the socket at the correct right angle to the hub) is a good installation tool (don't pound them in by hitting the inner race, you'll damage the internal surface). Another trick is to use the axle (minus the snail cam adjusters) as an alignment tool to keep the bearings at right angles to the hub when installing them (put a bearing and spacer on the axle and install loosely in the hub and add the other bearing on the other side, tapping it in slightly and then tap in the bearings and the axle will also keep the spacer aligned inside till you're finished). The rear axle nut on the TY is torqued to 85-Nm or 61-ft lbs.

Michael has a point. I'd guess that a compressed spacer would allow a lot of side pressure on the races and those are fairly small bearings and 85 Nm is a lot of pressure, but I would expect you'd get more than a few miles before they failed.

Jon