Suspension Settings.....

yoyo

Right then.....

I'm getting much better at balancing the bike at a standstill as the practice has paid dividends however I'm trying to hop the front and rear now and I'm finding it nearly impossible to get either wheel off of the ground. I can bunny-hop a mountain bike (yes I know it's much lighter!) however I'm using the same technique with a lot more effort without any real result.

Could it be that I need to adjust the suspension to give me more re-bound - (less rebound damping) when the forks and rear shock de-compress?

I've seen a few instructional vids and other riders do it on their bikes and it looks as though they are not having to use half the effort that I am!

I've a '06 270 Rev 3. I've not adjusted the suspension on the bike since I've had it and I don't know if it's ever been altered by the previous owners

so...

What are the standard suspension settings?

What do you recommend that I change them to if that is what is required to help me with my little problem?

I'm 6'2'' and 15st suited and booted - would I be better off putting heavier springs in? Or should I stop eating for a month and give up the pies! ?? :thumbup:

Thanks

Shaun.

Shaun,

I'm not the best person to help with hopping the bike as I'm an old fashioned rider who just points the bars towards the end cards.

The reason for the reply is that when I picked up my new bike from the dealer the front forks had no pre-load or damping set whatsoever! I had not messed about with these things before but I now realise that it is really important to check that they are at least set to the "standard" settings otherwise you are up against it before you even go through the start cards.

Have you looked for the settings on the Beta Uk site, if they don't have them then give them a ring they are obviously the best people to advise you.

Hi - initial recommended settings are in the manual:-

spring pre-load (LH leg) - rider weight <70 KG = 0 turns (screwed right out), rider weight 75-80 KG - 5 turns in, rider weight >80 KG = 10 turns in.

damping adj (RH leg) fast action - screw right out, then 15 clicks in for mid damping, same again for max.

I guess you will need to try playing around a bit, but min damping will give fastest rebound action for bouncing around....

in response to the problem with hopping: I do far more bicycle trials than moto, and the thing i must remember when on the moto is.

To start a hop you push down first, just a quick stab with the legs, and weight shift biased front or rear depending on which end your trying to hop. also when properly executed the move requires almost no arm effort. hop (Pun intended) this helps.

Tim